MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When removing a front abs sensor on my R50 Cooper, I snapped the top off. Not uncommon I understand. I then drilled into the top and had a dig about with a screwdriver. The remains of the sensor dropped down the hole.
Any suggestions for retrieving the remains without removing the hub?
I'm a novice with Minis, and this is my first post on here, so please be kind.
Thanks

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
hope you have not damaged the ring in side the hub with drill bit. you could blob some glue on a stick and push in side leave to go hard and pull it out

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just thought I would add an update to this. I decided in the end that safest thing to do was remove the hub. As the car is eighteen years old I though I might as well get a new hub. Turns out this was a good idea. Removing the bolts was a bit of a nightmare, but the purchase of some spiral sockets proved a fantastic investment. As I removed the drive shaft, the piece of ABS sensor fell out, This was not the end of the story! There were pieces of the sensor still bonded to the mounting hole. Took a while to clean that out. Once the hub was out I could see that the sensor ring was degrading. That could have been my original problem rather than the sensor itself. All back together now. Happy days!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts