MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mulberry Red Mini 40
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just watched Top Gear and to say I was surpised would be a slight understatement.

Apparently, it is an offence to have snow on the roof of your car. But wait, there's more, you get 3 points on your licence.

Now we've all seen ice blow off the top of a lorry, now thats dangerous. But snow? I look for people with snow on the roof, when it blows off you can clean your windscreen if your washers are frozen. Yes I know my MINI's got heated wotsits, but my Mondeo hasn't.

I then checked up the DVLA web site and there is an offence MS60, it for offences not covered by other codes. Now what do you think of that.

Look out Scotland, the MS60's are coming.

·
Mulberry Red Mini 40
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bite your tongue off ricardo, give my beautiful black MINI a severe case of dandruff? I shudder at the thought.;)

·
Registered
448 Posts
I wonder.

It's certainlky an offence in Oz, but in the UK?

I don't know off the top of my head, but the existence of code MS60 is not evidence that the offence exists!

From the Highway Code:

Icy and snowy weather
203. In winter check the local weather forecast for warnings of icy or snowy weather. DO NOT drive in these conditions unless your journey is essential. If it is, take great care. Carry a spade, warm clothing, a warm drink and emergency food in case your vehicle breaks down.

204. Before you set off

you MUST be able to see, so clear all snow and ice from all your windows
you MUST ensure that lights and number plates are clean
make sure the mirrors are clear and the windows are de-misted thoroughly.
(Laws CUR reg 30 & RVLR reg 23)

Make sure your windscreen is completely clear

205. When driving in icy or snowy weather

drive with care, even if the roads have been gritted
keep well back from the vehicle in front as stopping distances can be ten times greater than on dry roads
take care when overtaking gritting vehicles, particularly if you are riding a motorcycle
watch out for snowploughs which may throw out snow on either side. Do not overtake them unless the lane you intend to use has been cleared
be prepared for the road conditions changing over relatively short distances.

It would be a bit odd for the HWC to state one thing and the Regulations another.

I am *NOT* giving out legal advice here, and nothing I say should be relied upon without taking independant legal advice, but I'll check on Monday and try to post something a bit more definative when I've checked the regs.

·
Registered
632 Posts
It`s alwhite - snow good though . . .

m1les said:
I have just watched Top Gear and to say I was surpised would be a slight understatement.

Apparently, it is an offence to have snow on the roof of your car. But wait, there's more, you get 3 points on your licence . .
We all know that some MINI`s drift to the left but this is ridiculous.

Seriously though - some people drive around showing-off how much snow they`ve got!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Having had a quick trot through some books, ther's no specific offence in the UK for having snow on the roof of your car. They *could* do you for dangerous driving (owing to the dangerous condition of the vehicle), or possibly having an insecure load! But that'd be really, really mean-spirited of them, and I'd fancy fighting it through the Courts.

A slab of ice on the roof of your car would be another matter!

Note that I am NOT, an any way, shape or form, giving ANY sort of legal advice here. If you want to take the chance, like most of the population of the UK, it's up to you. If you cannot stand not knowing the precise position, go and see a solicitor. Typical lawyer-covering-his-back stuff.

·
Mulberry Red Mini 40
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good effort Viscount Charles, however I would be reluctant to take it to court for 2 reasons

1. It was on the telly, so it must be true.

and more importantly,

2. It was on Top Gear so it must be true.

I mean, lets face it, Tiff said he prefered the MINI One to the Cooper so everything they say is OK by me.
:D

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'd be happy to take it to court, on two pre-conditions:

1) Someone else is footing the bill (an insurance company, usually).

2) It's somebody else's licence and no claims bonus that's at risk! (Unlikely to be in the same case, of course, as losing the former only happens in the criminal courts, and the latter would only be at risk in the civil courts.)

I'll let my opponent call Tiff as his expert witness!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts