• 66+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Tom D said:
Yes, we know that there is no substitute for horsepower!
Amen to that! I owned lots of cars that I wished were more powerful, but I have yet to own any car that I felt had too much power.

Once I get one, I think I'll at least view the horsepower of the Cooper S as adequate. :D

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
BruceK said:

Amen to that! I owned lots of cars that I wished were more powerful, but I have yet to own any car that I felt had too much power.

Once I get one, I think I'll at least view the horsepower of the Cooper S as adequate. :D
5kW less than my 2.0l Turbocharged Forester, but about 300 - 350kg lighter........ She should fly......Life begins at 39 for me......wooohoooo........(or maybe 40 if it's further delayed)!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Originally Posted by BruceK

Once I get one, I think I'll at least view the horsepower of the Cooper S as adequate
Well I am 23, I am on my 5th car, (Renault Laguna 1.8 with a measly 95 BHP!) Which is being dumped for an S as soon as I can get my hands on it!

Needless to say, my Renault doesn't exactly provide a thrilling driving experience, neither can it ever be blamed for having 'too much power'!

Andy

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Cooper S (prospective) owners age

Currently 23, although probably 24 when my S turns up! Currently driving a car with about 10 bhp more, but much bigger than the S! Can't wait!!

Simon

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm 27, and this will be my first new car!:cool:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoolin'
I'm 27, and this will be my first new car!
Yeah, this will be my new car too, 4 years at university ,and I think I deserve it!

Only thing thats worrying me is that because I am only 23 and I only have 1 years no claims, they are gonna cane me on the insurance - BIG TIME. So hoping that the group is low.

Andy

·
Registered
261 Posts
Insurance can be a real downer, thats why I usually prefer beaters, and other VW products! :p

·
Loves MINI2
855 Posts
I am 25 from Fort Lauderdale.
When I get my MINI Cooper S it will be my first brand new car. I have had 3 other cars, but they have all been used.
I think the horsepower and weight in the S is what made me decide on this car. Once I get it, I will be attending track events and racing schools.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I am 23 and my Cooper S will be my second new car. I had the unfortunate task of leasing a chevrolet cavalier. Ouch! What a load of crap. I mean. Do you think they would put suspension on a car that is better than a truck? My parents made me get it although I told them there was much better choices I could afford.

I am looking soooo forward to having a car I want. I mean,if I am paying for the car, shouldn't I pick it? Oh yeah. It doesnt help when my insurance for the car is under a bracket which says its a sports car because it has 2 doors! what a load of crap!

·
Registered
448 Posts

Driven Rover Mini Coopers for the last 8 years - including my current car, a 1293cc tuned fuel injection Mini. About 90bhp, but it feels a lot quicker, and handles extremely well. Unfortunately it's an unreliable little sod (dumped all its oil on the motorway yesterday, and is now juddering like mad), but great fun to drive (when it works).

Full NCB and over 30 means I'm only charged a fortune for insurance, rather than the obscene fortune others are billed!

I _should_ buy something more sensible with a new family, but I just don't want to!:p

Having test-driven the MINI Cooper, my view was the handling was pretty good, the build quality and engineering looked top drawer, but the engine was lacking somewhat in grunt until you revved the heck out of it - hence the easy decision to wait the extra 12 months for an S.

Although the engine judder from my current Mini is extremely worrying - 2 months since the last engine rebuild, and I'mfar from sure that it will last until the S is available :(

·
Registered
261 Posts
I am in the same boat, sort of. I'm currently driving a 1985 Audi 4000 Quattro, with about 180 zillion miles on it. Currently the driver's side door panel is off because I just replaced the regulator, and I can't tell if this one is working any better than the old one. I will continue to shoe-string this car until the "S", with my name on it, arrives. Right now it's all about spending no money on the Oldi and putting away a huge down payment on the "S"!:D

·
Loves Leecey
4,758 Posts
I'm 32 now, maybe 33 when my car arrives. It even could be my very own birthday present when it arrives late june :D !

This car will be replacing my 2,5 year old (at this time) Platinum Silver IS 200 Sport with executive package. 300 kg leighter, 76 cm shorter, 8 hp and 15 Nm more under the bonnet should make me smile :p !

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
36 in a '98 Civic VTi-R - Has same power & acceleration as the S, but (judging by the Cooper experience) compared to the M2, the Honda is like kissing your sister;)

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
50 in 10 days, had more cars than most of you have had birthdays. My classic Mini is in the garage, next to my '72 VW Kombi and my '48 Ferguson tractor. Diversity!!:D I am very anxiously awaiting the MINI, it is not my first and should not be my last car new but I hope it will be the best!!:D :D

Mike

·
Registered
930 Posts
I'm 27 but will be 28 when the MINIs arrive here in the U.S. This car will be my 5th car ever and my 3rd new car. I tend to keep cars for a long time, but 2 years ago I bought an S2000 and just last week I traded it for another one (a 2002). The MINI will be my daily driver as I do not want to drive the Honda everyday...

Mike

·
MINIstry of Fun
1,561 Posts
Interesting stats.

It looks like about 54% of 'S' buyers are over 35. That's not how BMW were marketing this hot block. They were trying to attract the young ones.

My kids are in their twenties (got their own cars) and wife and I want a car that we can travel in around Victoria and parts of SA and NSW, and TAS. My company car is an AU Fairmont, but it will be sitting in the driveway once Mr 'S' arrives.

·
Registered
1 Posts
50 years old and waiting for a CooperS

I just turned 50 and this will be my first ever new car - I've owned lots of neat vehicles over the years but the Cooper S is the first one I've gotten this much new car lust for (the Boxster came close) -

1 - 20 of 47 Posts