MINI Cooper Forum banner

How's the Getrag tranny?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
MINI Owner!
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen many negative and many positive responses about this box.... what do you guys think about it?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ditto,

I love the slick shift but reverse really makes me cringe. I sometimes take that extra few seconds when selecting reverse so as not to crunch it. Apart from that is is brill,

·
Mini in Maine
556 Posts
Carefully read your instruction manual...

L13 Cooper said:
the reverse gear is crap, and its really notchy!!
and I think you'll find it's the way you're shifting into reverse, not the reverse itself.

·
Sullivan Racing
1,117 Posts
I have no personal experience with the new getrag box, but I am suprised at all of the issues people are having with it. I have to say, though, that I really do like my midlands box on my 03 Cooper. It really has a nice solid feel without being notchy. Funny that the "upgrade" seems to be so problematic.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
I've never driven the Midlands unit so I can't comment on that. I have a :red: MCS with the 6-speed and had a loaner MCC on the weekend.

The MC Getrag 5-speed shifts smoother than my 6-speed but I don't like the reverse in it - too graunchy.

Other than reverse though, it's a dream to drive. Very nice with good gearing.

·
Patiently waiting...
13 Posts
I've only driven the MC once (test drive), but I can tell you that the tranny is much better than that of a Jeep!!!

As for the reverse gear, I believe that there is no way of syncing reverse with the forward gears...so no matter how expensive or precise the tranny, reverse may still be out of sync on occasion. It is just a matter of putting the tranny in neutral, lifting off the clutch for a moment and pressing it down again...or if that doesn't work you can put it into first again and then back to reverse...its just a matter of getting the gears to line up. You shouldn't have to force it though.

·
1xCooper & 2xClubmans...
155 Posts
I think it's pretty much okay - definitely the best I've owned, but not the best I've used.

However, shifts are pretty accurate, short and positive feeling when you get it into gear. Reverse is beginning to get less annoying, but I think that this is more due to me getting used to waiting before selecting it than any actual improvement in the box itself... :rolleyes:

I am driving around in an early '04 MO at the moment, and have to say that I definitely prefer my new MC Getrag unit to the relatively sloppy BMidland shift in the courtesy car! :p

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think that the new gearbox is great - nice easy shift, but still has a 'mechanical' feel to it that I like. It's certainly nicer to use than the 6 speed box in my BMW 330Ci; I always have difficulty at first after driving the MINI as the gears require much more effort (although it obviously respond much better to committed driving!).

Know what people mean by having problems with reverse, but I've found that if you ensure that the gear stick is as close to the driver as possible (my car's RHD as I'm in the UK, so in your case you'll be pushing away from you) it engages without crunching.

·
Registered
30 Posts
A little 'reversing' tip my MA passed on and seems to work great is to put the car into another gear before selecting reverse. I use 4th gear just because I find it easy to move it over the one notch. I keep the clutch depressed during the entire manuver and it's now become almost second nature. The only times I've had a bit of a crunch was when I forgot to use the technique.

·
MINI Owner!
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I picked "Best I've ever used," however, I've only ever driven two manual cars ever! But this box seems very easy to drive, yet very fun!

·
ITS RAINNIN' SIDEWAYS
16,430 Posts
get a whalen knob on it & the shift is near perfect - very positive & very mechanical-feeling but without any hesitant notchiness. the changes to the raitios are great even with only a few hundred miles on the clock you can feel the difference.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Havn't driven the Midlands box to compare the Getrag unit to but the ratios seem pretty well chosen and the action is notchy but with a nice slick feeling to it. It would be nice if it had a sychro on the reverse gear but then its not a big deal to ease it in. Overall a nice shift.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts