MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
F86 BMW X6M, F30 BMW 320d
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So over the past few days I've tried to update the maps on the factory nav in my LCI 2010 MCS. When I picked up the car I discovered it had the 2010 software. It uses the BMW/MINI Move software.

So I downloaded the 2019 maps and got an FSC code and started the upgrade. So far so good.

However, it had been taking ages to update. When I've done this on my BMW's it's quite a lot quicker (normally within 45 minutes to an hour). On the MCS, it took about 3 days (of normal driving) to get to 37%.

Then it all went wrong. When I started the car yesterday, instead of picking up from where it was (which is what it had been doing up until now, albeit very slowly) I was prompted for the Activation code again! Entering the same FSC code (which initially worked to start the process) I get an error saying the code is not valid :(

So now I'm stuck, if I remove the USB stick my nav doesn't work, I can't see the maps or get into the menu that shows the software versions or the ability to enter a destination etc. The screen also displays something along the lines of 'no mapping data present, insert USB to start update'.

If I re-insert the USB stick, I then either get the prompt to enter the FSC code (which no longer works, stating code not valid), or bizarrely sometimes get a screen with a spinning circle saying 'Preparing Update'.

From my experience of BMW updates, a failed upgrade normally reverts back to the original software. Does anyone know much about the Factory Sat Nav systems in the LCI R56's that can advise what I should try?

Is it worth pulling the fuse, or disconnecting the battery for a while? Or is this something someone good with BMW/Mini coding could help resolve?

Guess it's a classic case of 'if it's not broken don't touch it!'. However, as the maps were almost 10 years old and I've never had issues on the BMW's with Nav updates I figured I'd give it a go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
It finally worked, despite alternating and asking for the activation code every so often, on a drive yesterday it started updating again, went from 0% - 2% in about 15 minutes.

Got home and figured I'm not taking any chances so left the car on (engine running) and it finally finished after about 4-5 hours. Upside is I spent most of the time cleaning & valeting the car. So now I have a shiny car and shiny new maps!

The only odd thing now is that I seem to have lost 7 digit postcode entry! I definitely could enter 7 digit postcodes before, and there are loads still showing in my history but I can't enter them anymore or navigate to them from the history. If I click on one in the history it says something like 'unable to calculate route to destination'. So, I now need to enter the address again, using the first part of the postcode or the Town.

Anyway, at least the maps are back and the navigation is working again. It's definitely a bit temperamental with the updates and needs a good few hours to complete!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
COMPLETELY SOLVED! - final update

Went out for a drive this morning and figured I'd try entering a new destination. To my surprise it appears to have updated fully now and 7 digit postcode entry is back!

Happy it's all sorted now, it was definitely a little fiddly and time-consuming to update the Move system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts