MINI Cooper Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Oh. I am sorry then.

But that thing looks like it must leak...
It more than likely will as it gets older and wears out hence why it's good to weigh up the pros and cons rather than rush in and buy the first car you see. You mentioned it's gonna live outside and you get a lot of rain etc so this will eventually fail plus it's a weak spot for security and an easy target for vandalism.

I'm not wishing to put you off the car as I haven't seen it but with the description you've said with the rust and the roof it wouldn't be a car I'd choose and also I wouldn't have anything other than a manual but that's my personal preference :)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
TheMudMan
1 Posts
Faded Trim

Please try this "Muti" for faded plastic trim on your Mini "Gtechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer".

I purchased a 15ml bottle that enabled me to "Restore" ALL the external trim on my JCW with only ½ of the bottle.

Clean ALL surfaces with Isopropanol 99.9% Pure IPA Isopropyl Alcohol first then, ask the GF/Wife for some Cotton Cosmetic Pads and apply the Gtechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer.

There are useful vids on uTube about the product.

I am going to use the remaining "Muti" on the GF's eXternal trim ... Wish me luck ... !

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Pavas, sounds as if you've moved on from looking at the auto. The folding sunroof is almost certainly a Webasto or a lookalike by someone else. I'm not sure what country you are in. A company called Wilson also made one.
I had a full length white Webasto roof fitted to a 1968 Mini Cooper with a white roof I had in 1974-76. Manual, not electric. It was great. Quiet when shut and no leaks. Back then they were very popular on many makes of car as after market fitments.

I agree, although no experience, that buying an auto would not be the best way to go. How many miles has the auto done? What sort of service history?

When looking to buy mine, and doing a fair amount of research, I decided I wanted a Cooper S Gen1 facelift. I like the supercharger. The facelifts are supposed to be more reliable than the vey early ones.

Honest John had this list of issues to look for when looking at a used Mini which might be useful. I can't vouch for its accuracy:

HONEST JOHN MINI ISSUES

17” Tyres Prone to Punctures. 17" wheels with run flat tyres prone to punctures which require expensive new tyres. Go for 16" rather than better looking 17" wheels as ride is unacceptably hard on 17".

Door Check Straps. On early cars rust unless regularly greased.

Radiators of cars 3 years old or more can corrode.

Transmission Failure Of 2001/2002 MINIs. By 2007 had become increasingly common.

PAS Problems. The electric motor which runs the pump packs up and sometimes takes the wiring loom with it (through overheating). BMW dealers quote £750 to repair, but BMW will sometimes approve 'goodwill' of half the cost of parts and labour. Reports of frequent steering column failures (sometimes BMW will pick up the tab).

ABS/ASC Modules starting to fail after 3 - 4 years. Unlike VAG, BMW dealers will separate the two parts and effect a reasonably priced repair (!!): about £600 - £700.

Under-Seat Wiring Loom becomes loose, setting off the airbag warning light.

Fuel Tank Retaining Straps of 7 - 8 year old MINIs can rust through.

Thermostat Housing. A common failure on R50/R52/R53 engines.

Front Struts. Early cars pulling to nearside. Caused by early type front struts identified by domed ca on centre nut. Replace struts complete with top mounts and anti-roll bar links.

Front Suspension Turrets. All MINIS pulling to nearside. Front suspension turrets pushed up. Replace top mounts and repair turret on jig.

PAS – Low Oil Level. Early MINI Ones, Coopers and Cooper S extra noisy power assisted steering with low oil level. PAS seals have failed. Replace track rod ends.

PAS Failure Due To Failed Pump. MINI Ones, Coopers and Cooper S due to failed pump or corroded wiring to pump. Replace pump and/or wiring.

Noise From Steering Column. All MINIs, means steering column upper bearing has failed. Replace upper and lower steering column depending on age.

Rear Caliper(S) Failed. All MINIs, excessive footbrake and parking brake travel. Indicates rear calipers have failed. Replace calipers(s).

ABS Pump Wiring Shorted Out On Pump Bracket. Early MINI One, Cooper and Cooper S. ASC, ABS, RDW+ handbrake warning lights on with possible intermittent loss of speedo and rev counter and sometimes gradual loss of electrics and fire/smoke from engine bay. If minor wiring damage, repair loom. If major, replace main vehicle wiring loom. Always fit a protective edge cover to pump bracket.

Valve Spring Failures. November 2006 alerted to a spate of valve spring failures on 2002 model year Cooper S models. At the time, BMW was picking up the tab.

Aircon may gurgle due to airlock in refrigerant. Difficult to purge.

Rear exhaust silencer boxes rot inside out and also deposit rust particles on the rear of the cars. Particularly noticeable on white and yellow cars.

Electric Panoramic Sunroof Failures. Apparent spate of failures. BMW dealers quote £1,600-£1,800 to fix. Bristol Sunroofs can do it for £245. So don't buy a used MINI with a panoramic roof without checking the roof very carefully.

Handle of Parking Brake. December 2002, all MINIs recalled because can twist slightly, leading it to slip of the ratchet.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Pavas, sounds as if you've moved on from looking at the auto. The folding sunroof is almost certainly a Webasto or a lookalike by someone else. I'm not sure what country you are in. A company called Wilson also made one.
I had a full length white Webasto roof fitted to a 1968 Mini Cooper with a white roof I had in 1974-76. Manual, not electric. It was great. Quiet when shut and no leaks. Back then they were very popular on many makes of car as after market fitments.

I agree, although no experience, that buying an auto would not be the best way to go. How many miles has the auto done? What sort of service history?

When looking to buy mine, and doing a fair amount of research, I decided I wanted a Cooper S Gen1 facelift. I like the supercharger. The facelifts are supposed to be more reliable than the vey early ones.

Honest John had this list of issues to look for when looking at a used Mini which might be useful. I can't vouch for its accuracy:

HONEST JOHN MINI ISSUES

17” Tyres Prone to Punctures. 17" wheels with run flat tyres prone to punctures which require expensive new tyres. Go for 16" rather than better looking 17" wheels as ride is unacceptably hard on 17".

Door Check Straps. On early cars rust unless regularly greased.

Radiators of cars 3 years old or more can corrode.

Transmission Failure Of 2001/2002 MINIs. By 2007 had become increasingly common.

PAS Problems. The electric motor which runs the pump packs up and sometimes takes the wiring loom with it (through overheating). BMW dealers quote £750 to repair, but BMW will sometimes approve 'goodwill' of half the cost of parts and labour. Reports of frequent steering column failures (sometimes BMW will pick up the tab).

ABS/ASC Modules starting to fail after 3 - 4 years. Unlike VAG, BMW dealers will separate the two parts and effect a reasonably priced repair (!!): about £600 - £700.

Under-Seat Wiring Loom becomes loose, setting off the airbag warning light.

Fuel Tank Retaining Straps of 7 - 8 year old MINIs can rust through.

Thermostat Housing. A common failure on R50/R52/R53 engines.

Front Struts. Early cars pulling to nearside. Caused by early type front struts identified by domed ca on centre nut. Replace struts complete with top mounts and anti-roll bar links.

Front Suspension Turrets. All MINIS pulling to nearside. Front suspension turrets pushed up. Replace top mounts and repair turret on jig.

PAS – Low Oil Level. Early MINI Ones, Coopers and Cooper S extra noisy power assisted steering with low oil level. PAS seals have failed. Replace track rod ends.

PAS Failure Due To Failed Pump. MINI Ones, Coopers and Cooper S due to failed pump or corroded wiring to pump. Replace pump and/or wiring.

Noise From Steering Column. All MINIs, means steering column upper bearing has failed. Replace upper and lower steering column depending on age.

Rear Caliper(S) Failed. All MINIs, excessive footbrake and parking brake travel. Indicates rear calipers have failed. Replace calipers(s).

ABS Pump Wiring Shorted Out On Pump Bracket. Early MINI One, Cooper and Cooper S. ASC, ABS, RDW+ handbrake warning lights on with possible intermittent loss of speedo and rev counter and sometimes gradual loss of electrics and fire/smoke from engine bay. If minor wiring damage, repair loom. If major, replace main vehicle wiring loom. Always fit a protective edge cover to pump bracket.

Valve Spring Failures. November 2006 alerted to a spate of valve spring failures on 2002 model year Cooper S models. At the time, BMW was picking up the tab.

Aircon may gurgle due to airlock in refrigerant. Difficult to purge.

Rear exhaust silencer boxes rot inside out and also deposit rust particles on the rear of the cars. Particularly noticeable on white and yellow cars.

Electric Panoramic Sunroof Failures. Apparent spate of failures. BMW dealers quote £1,600-£1,800 to fix. Bristol Sunroofs can do it for £245. So don't buy a used MINI with a panoramic roof without checking the roof very carefully.

Handle of Parking Brake. December 2002, all MINIs recalled because can twist slightly, leading it to slip of the ratchet.
Considering how sensitive the bcu is and the fact webasto or any custom sunroof leaks I wouldn't risk it.

I would also take what HJ says with a pinch of salt. Any car will have issues

Even the youngest gen ones are 10yrs old and at that age things start to break

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Honest John isn't very Honest! For starters, the original strut set up on the early generation 1's was better than the modified struts and it was the modified struts that started causing the "Mushroom effect"!

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I agree. Pinch of salt needed. Might be Wrong john but I think he's probably pretty Honest. If you don't know the marque it gives some pointers.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
6 Participants
NigelK
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing