MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im back again and looking to buy a Cooper S again. I had one picked out a year or so ago, but I'm still waiting on a phone call about it :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've looked at two over the last two days and I've just a few questions. I'm leaning towards this one at the minute.

It's got a full service history according to the dealer which I like (obviously). Is there any major service due with the mileage? (59k) Any major problems to look out for? It seems to be somewhat modified with a different scoop and some gauges inside it.

Any other things to look out for?

Cheers.

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
I would see if they would have a problem with you taking it to get a leakdown test done on the engine. It is clear that it has mods (could pose higher insurance for you) and with that it has probably been driven harder than normal. Does that mean that it is a bad car? No, but it should be a yellow flag for you to take a little more caution. Maybe have a tuner here look at it for you...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Insurance is fine, even with the mods I have planned. I had a good look round it and it all looks in good shape. Never opened the bonnet though. I'd like to get it looked over by a tuner, but being in Ireland rules that out

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Ugh... Well first place I would look is the pulley to see if it is stock or not. It may be that the owner just added new brakes and some guages for the cool effect. If the pulley is not stock then try to find a garage that you feel you can trust to do the leakdown test. This is a common test that is done to make sure that the compression in the cylinders is being held. Any autoshop worth a salt should be able to do this.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for that. I'm going back down tomorrow to see what sort of deal he's offering and for a test drive, so hopefully I'll find out more then. I've driven a standard S so if it's modified I'll hopefully tell the difference

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right, an update of sorts. I called out to the dealer earler and he was rather short and abrupt saying he would ring me on Tuesday with a price for my car, but he wouldn't sell the S before he called me. Ok I suppose..

I did some looking around and discovered this one had been added yesterday evening and sent off an email. I'm already swaying towards that one, with it being less mileage and a year younger for the same price as the other. As before, it all depends on the trade in price given for my car. Going to try sell it privately too, so hopefully it wont be a deciding factor.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another little update. Went to look at the Electric Blue one today but it was sold on Saturday. :( Pity, but life goes on. I got a call back from the other dealer about the grey one offering me the best deal I've been offered so far, so I reckon it'll be that one I get. So, I'm a whole lot closer to Cooper S ownership :D

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will do. I also got word back from my old insurance company that I can get my NCB back if i pay for a claim (which was for peanuts anyway) so all in all it's been a good day, chuffed is an understatement! :D

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So do I :x Buying an S has been a bit of a jinx for me, every time I get close to getting one somethings happened or come up and I haven't been able to take it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh I will, don't worry. Going to be a long day, been in work since 6 and I'm in till 7 this evening. :(

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hopefully :D Collecting it before 1. :)

Yea, went for the dark silver one in the end. The other one was sold the day I went to look at it. I had a good look over the other one and it's, in fairness, in excellent condition with full service history and almost every receipt, too.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
White roof, exact combo I was looking for. Has the panoramic sunroof too, but no Chilli Pack which I would've liked, but beggars can't be choosers

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I got it. :D My Cooper S jinx must be finished. Chuffed to bits with it, feels quicker than my previous car (Corsa OPC/VXR). Will get some pics when I get home and post them. :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts