MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently came across this ( rather poor )photo of my 1275 'S' taken in 1966, yes '66, in the Lake District.
I thought it might cheer you all up on this wet and windy Sunday ( In West Yorkshire, anyway )
The blur in the driver's seat was the current girl friend.
The colour was Tweed Grey with white roof AND bonnett. The sharp eyed will notice the non-standard indicators. They were combined sidelight & indicators from the BMC 1100. The reason for this is the headlights were Marshall driving lights, with no side light. Dip beam were in Lucas 7" units next to the headlights. Not sure if that was legal. Two further 7" headlights were set 'cross eyed' to see round corners, finished of with a pencil beam spot in the middle.
All this was backed up by a standard dynamo. Choice of lights had to be 'selective', when I remembered. I was caught out with a flat battery more than once. Oh to be young & foolish! The circle on bottom of the windscreen was a Helos, I think, movable spotlight.

Also notice the 'proper' alloy fliptop filler cap. Not fake like the new 'S', but not very safe in an accident. One of the few options were twin tanks, which this car had.

Enough reminiscing, loking forward to the delivery of my second 'S' this summer ( Not Tweed Grey, but Yellow & Black )

GeoffP

Attachments

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Nice Mini! Reminds me that the level of customizing of the new MINI going on now, (driving lights, bonnet stripes, aftermarket wheels, different exhaust, etc.), has a long, long history in the Mini family.

I did catch the different indicators right away - oh I also noticed its a Morris rather than an Austin and it looks like it's got an aftermarket fuel cap on the RH tank, not to mention the hubcaps got binned, too! :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did catch the different indicators right away - oh I also noticed its a Morris rather than an Austin and it looks like it's got an aftermarket fuel cap on the RH tank, not to mention the hubcaps got binned, too! :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, it was a Morris, registered in 1964. Not sure when the Austin/Morris became just Mini. I competed with it in local Rallys with it with some success.
The fuel tank filler caps were the Aston quick release type, but protruded unsafely beyond the body. It was 'The Fashion' to dispence with the hub caps, mainly because the chrome quality was very poor, and the caps rusted badly. The local Police used Cooper's and then 'S's, in the mid'60's, which were a good secondhand buy. High mileage but well maintained. I have two friends who had them with no problems.

GeoffP

1 - 3 of 3 Posts