MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Indecisive MINI Owner
473 Posts
What head unit can do you need to use those with? As I have the changer cable in the car, but only the Wave radio.

·
TT or not TT
3,064 Posts
Jon
Yes it will work with your wave radio.

But you can buy it cheaper from Halfords and they were offering free fitting a while ago

·
Registered
232 Posts
Speaking of the CD-changer wireing... is that a standard feature or do I need to tell my dealer that I want the cable inplace... (I ordered single CD+boost)

Thanks!'

·
Indecisive MINI Owner
473 Posts
After the first thousand or so cars you need to tell your dealer. I had an August build cars and the early ones had it as standard

·
Registered
76 Posts
So does the Sony multiplay mentioned for £180 just plug into the CD prep cables in the boot? Do you control it from the stereo or a separate controller? Does the factory fit one have a separate controller? Thanks for your help, Confused Craig! (Who wants to save £60!)

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
I think this one works with the changer prep....

BMW Mini ( Sony 6 Disc CD Changer + ABMS005 )
BMW New Mini 2001 Onwards, Single CD Or Cassette, 6 Disc Sony CD Changer, Includes Interface ABMS005

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sony Changer Fitted

Fitted the Caraudiodiscount unit to my Mini at the weekend - pretty simple and works well.

In the kit:
ABMS005 - Converts BMW to Sony. A little silver box 5cm x 5cm containing components so it's not straight through. Claims the head unit is Clarion.

Sony CDXT67 6 disk changer and usual leads as if fitting to a head unit.

Located snugly under the carpet in the boot recess.

If you want more details on fitting please ask.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes, the BMW and Sony leads plug into the converter box.

If you need more detail I will take some photos as it seems to cause a lot of confusion.

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
I take it the unit doesn't come with any kind of mounting bracket?

P.S. Pictures would be cool, Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sony CD Changer Pictures

Here are the pictures.

The only issue I have found is that there is some interference (high pitched noise) because clever old BMW didn't use coax cable for the audio leads. This should be pretty simple to sort out though.

The brackets that came with the changer were not very useful so I fixed it in with heavy duty velcro and foam.

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
You will have to upload those photos first as the files you have referenced are on your PC.

If you want to email them to me I will sort it out for you.. [email protected]

·
Registered
121 Posts
What head unit do you have is it a standard wave radio cassete or a Boost???

Dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anyone know if it's possible to buy that little converter box separately? I can't find it anywhere but would like to reuse my old Sony CD changer.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
The 6 Disc multi changer looks really good. I think im gonna have to raise the floor so I can fit my 10 disc changer in there :) :) :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
More info

Head unit = Boost

Car Audio Discount suggested that you can buy the box on its own for £75. Because the Sony changer is around the £100 mark it's not worth it unless you already have a changer.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts