MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Im trying to get my Sony Headunit out of the mini-I have used all sorts from the original unit pull out tools to knifes and screwdrivers but it simply wont pull out!-i presume it was fitted from new-does this mean they have done somthing when it was fitted? in my previous cars you put the tools in each side and then it slided out-is this not the case in the mini?
Cheers
Alex

·
Registered
22,101 Posts
there is sometimes a supporting bolt at the back of the unit on some after market stereos - worth having a look to see if there is a little brass nut you can feel up the back.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I havent taken them off-I didnt think id have to seeing it isnt a mini stereo.When inserting the stereo tools the right hand side slide down ok but the left hand side is a pig and doesnt seem to fully go down-do you think this could also be the problem?

·
Registered
22,101 Posts
It certainly won't be helping - I have always taken mine off when taking the HU out for changing the phone kit or adding the i-pod adaptor ( mines Sony too).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Atlast i have found the problem! The wonderful mini people who put the stereo in at the factory or where ever it was installed, decided to be security concious and put longer than necessary screws into the security screw holes . About 2 inches from the front of the stereo on either side meaning after ive taken the necessary dash apart, i cannot gain access to these! ive taken the din fitting kit off and tried to take the whole thing out but no luck so please does anyone know how i can gain access to these screws on the sides?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thankyou for your reply minisoopercooper-I managed to get to them with a bit of moaning-what they had done was screwed the metal mounting brackets directly to the headunit, which ment there were no spring release mechanisms for the stereo removal tools to operate and they could not slide down due the scews in the way!
However I know have got another battle-I dont know whether this was due to the stereo or somthing else but a day after the stereo went in the rev counter and main dial would not illuminate when the headlights were put on and now today the rev counter stopped working alltogether! and is stook at 2k revs like it froze and shut down. Not only that but the rear brake lights remain on when the ignition is switched off-I have disconected the battery but this did no use aswell as removing the stereo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts