MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SOS Call - please help

I have bought my first ever mini, the R53. I bought this last weekend, private sale in Edinburgh.

After checking out the car and going on a test drive the buyer left me alone to check over everything again. When I checked under bonnet there was signs of red coolant on expansion tank. I had checked this before the 5 mins test drive and it was not there then, I put this down to me perhaps not fully tightening the cap before (can not be 100% I even had it off before).

Anyway after driving it home 10mins max as I walked away the fan was running. Thought that’s strange but did not read to much into it. Finally got round to taking it for a wee drive a few days ago and after only 2 mins driving I stopped to speak with someone and could hear boiling. The coolant in expansion chamber was boiling!!! Let it cool down then headed back home.

Temp gauge remained at half way but no heat from heaters? I have just replaced the thermostat but the one I removed looked ok to be honest.

I have followed a bleed procedure found on this page but no luck, can not seem to get any fluid out of the lower bleed point (down beside the air filter box - 8mm hex head).

With the expansion tank cap off the water was just boiling away again and every now and then overflow, level would drop and then repeat.

Can anyone shed any light or anyone in Edinburgh who can help a brother out? So annoying as just want to enjoy my new purchase, it’s left a bad taste in the mouth (previous owner denies any overheating issues when he had it, perhaps air did get drawn in if cap was not fully tightened for test drive. Or he is at it!)

Thanks and sorry for the rambling long post (my first ?)

Attachments

· Registered
13,577 Posts
below link worth a punt head gasket tester,,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-3-BLO...959824&hash=item41c72ebe9c:g:MuUAAOSwLEtYi8Gi

they are not fast to bleed air out of takes a fair bit of running with cap off and add tiny amounts of water without totally filling the filler neck on side of cylinder head,, filling to the top will only add to air locks just keep as low as can while still seeing a bit of water if that makes sense,, can also use a pressure tool to add pressure to water system and bleed air out from coolant pipes is by far best way,, link below for tool.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18-pcs-R...015560&hash=item4694adedc0:g:6CYAAOSwkMVcy1KU

or make one ie drill hole in old coolant cap fit a tyre valve to it and add pressure done this a few times in past

Reactions: Stormbringer55

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, think i May have contributed to the fault then because as i filled up/topped up after replacing the thermostat I was constantly filling tank up to top of neck - when running with cap off the level would rise and overflow then drop and rise again, over and over!

· Registered
13,577 Posts
Thanks, think i May have contributed to the fault then because as i filled up/topped up after replacing the thermostat I was constantly filling tank up to top of neck - when running with cap off the level would rise and overflow then drop and rise again, over and over!
thats what you try and avoid by only filling enough at a time that water may rise within the neck but not over flow ie at very bottom of neck can see the fluid, i also find jacking up the passengers side wheel as high as can might help it helps the highest spot to be the filling neck within the head as thats the problem they get air locks in top chambers in the head

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.