MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys..

Im looking to put in a decent sound system in my cooper. (Im stuck with the standard cassette player at the moment!)

Just wanted to know what you guys would recommend?. I've got a £200 budget at the moment for a cd player and some speakers. Not sure if I want a sub in the mini.. will probably take up too much space! I'd be more than happy with some speakers with good base!

Any recommendations are welcome! (Especially if anyone has bought anything from Halfords!)

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Hey guys..

Im looking to put in a decent sound system in my cooper. (Im stuck with the standard cassette player at the moment!)

Just wanted to know what you guys would recommend?. I've got a £200 budget at the moment for a cd player and some speakers. Not sure if I want a sub in the mini.. will probably take up too much space! I'd be more than happy with some speakers with good base!

Any recommendations are welcome! (Especially if anyone has bought anything from Halfords!)
The speakers in mine are excellent, and sound really good even when the volume is turned up, so if I was you, I would just consider getting a Boost CD!

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Depends how much of an audiophile you are :p

I've gone from a full Mikey fit stereo, to a Bose stereo in the Merc, back to standard Boost CD, and it sounds terrible :p

The standard speakers are only 15W rated, but can sound okay with a decent head unit coupled up to them. Find a good well specc'd head unit by a good brand with either 4x45W or 4x50W output, and you'll get an improved sound :)

If in doubt, speak to Mikey at NewMINIStuff.com, he is the guru when it comes to MINI ICE, and will sort you out ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I thought the standard mini ICE was pretty good, tho having not heard proper good stereo's etc i wouldnt know as such. My cooper s stereo is fairly boomin!

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
The stereo I had fitted by mikey at NewMINIStuff.com was excellent :cool:

So good that rather than hearing a blurred sound (like you get with Boost), you could actually pick out individual stages and instruments in a group :cool:

But as I say, I am an audiophile, and I like good quality sound ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
i know how you feel, standard head unit and speakers is poor. Ive gone for a panasonic head unit which ive had for a while now i had it in my previous car and it runs 4x70watt just from that so ive got a better sound from the standard speakers. Ive also added a sony sub and amp combo. The amp is already in the sub box so if i need my boot space i just unclick it. I get a really good sound from the combo and am impressed with the standard speakers run along side the sub. Ive debated to uprate the speakers but dnt really need as i get great bass and treble.

hope that helps you in some way.

·
Registered
810 Posts
The speakers in my cooper were only 15 watts and my new head unit killed them, Have just finished my new ice install. all depends on how far you want to go a sub does not have to take up all of the boot;). Some sound deadening would help too.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help so far!

Hey byrnie20.. how much did you spend on the whole lot?.. head unit/speakers/sub/amp ? and you think you could find them on the net so I can have a look at the ones you have?

Cheers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts