MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
1963 Mini -- 2004 MINI
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read here that the Sparco Milano is almost identical to the JCW unit that's not available over here (airbag :mad: ). I know some people have gotten hold of the JCW seat and prefer it to the Sparco because the JCW is a direct fit (same base etc.). My question is this. Is it possible to take the standard MINi seat off the base and installl the Sparco in it's place as opposed to using the Sparco universal base?
Alan

·
MINI2 Voyeur
240 Posts
Really? The JCW sports seat is a direct fit using the MINI base?

Sparco's won't fit MINI stock base, different bolt configuration to the seat. The Sparco MINI-specific base is like +-$100 with slider per side. You do sit lower than the lowest stock seat position, but not by much.

770 KOF said:
I have read here that the Sparco Milano is almost identical to the JCW unit that's not available over here (airbag :mad: ). I know some people have gotten hold of the JCW seat and prefer it to the Sparco because the JCW is a direct fit (same base etc.). My question is this. Is it possible to take the standard MINi seat off the base and installl the Sparco in it's place as opposed to using the Sparco universal base?
Alan

·
The de Chromed MINI
3,218 Posts
I have the jcw seats, and they use a pressed steel bracket that is bolted between the seat and the standard seat runners,
Im guessing that a steel fabrication shop should be able to build you a pair of these brackets,

Rob

·
Shopping
740 Posts
Pobsey said:
I have the jcw seats, and they use a pressed steel bracket that is bolted between the seat and the standard seat runners,
Im guessing that a steel fabrication shop should be able to build you a pair of these brackets,

Rob
any chance you can post a pic of this mod. I've sparco milano seats on the sparco base (which is rubbish) would like to change over to the mini base.

·
The de Chromed MINI
3,218 Posts
Have a look at this, its the fitting instructions for the jcw seats, the top picture shows the frame best

·
1963 Mini -- 2004 MINI
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nulltty is the

MINI specific base an option then that you can order from Sparco?
Alam

·
MINI2 Voyeur
240 Posts
I don't have the part number or pictures with me, but yes there's a Sparco base that is a direct fit to the MINI (at least for my '03 MCS) to Sparco bottom mount seats (ie Torino, Milano). The base includes the bracket to mount the seat belt buckle.

770 KOF said:
Alam

·
MINI2 Voyeur
240 Posts
770 KOF said:
Alam
Here's the pic of the base, and the Sparco part number. There's a SX and a DX, one for driver, one for passenger; I don't recall which is which.

The other pic is of the driver side, showing the Torino and base installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Bump....

This is interesting stuff. I'd love to get a pair of Sparco Milano's in blue Alcantra, and use the JCW fitting kit that comes with JCW spec seats to install them. Does anyone know if this kit is available independently of the JCW seats, and even better, the part number(s)?

Waiting anxiously :)

Richard

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
nulltty said:
Really? The JCW sports seat is a direct fit using the MINI base?

Sparco's won't fit MINI stock base, different bolt configuration to the seat. The Sparco MINI-specific base is like +-$100 with slider per side. You do sit lower than the lowest stock seat position, but not by much.
You DON'T Sit lower that the lowest setting at all. You sit higher!

I have fitted my JCW seats myself.

And Sparco Milano's will fit the MINI you just nead the Sparco Frame for the MINI. This then attachs to the standard MINI runners (see Pobsey's instructions)

The frame that comes with the JCW seats is slightly differant than that shown in the picture by nullty, in that it is a solid piece. It also has an extra piece that you attach to it the frame, that alows you to attach the Seat Belt tensioner "Socket" to the new seat.

The JCW one also has 2 screw points per corner, making that 8 screws for the frame to attach to the standard MINI runners and 4 screws to attach the frame to the seat.

I'll be taking my seats out for the new car and wil try to remember to get pictures of the bits.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi Damo,

You seem to be pretty knowledgable on this subject. Could I bother you to give a bit more info:

And Sparco Milano's will fit the MINI you just nead the Sparco Frame for the MINI. This then attachs to the standard MINI runners (see Pobsey's instructions)
Does this mean that the MINI slider handle is retained, and that the Sparco easy entry handle is linked to the slider released mechanism, as on the OE seats? In fact, does the JCW seat even do this?

The frame that comes with the JCW seats is slightly differant than that shown in the picture by nullty, in that it is a solid piece. The JCW one also has 2 screw points per corner, making that 8 screws for the frame to attach to the standard MINI runners and 4 screws to attach the frame to the seat.
Do you know if the JCW frame would fit a Non-JCW Sparco Milano?

I'll be taking my seats out for the new car and wil try to remember to get pictures of the bits.
Excellent! If you think on, could you check for part numbers on the various bits.

Thanks, Richard

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
soopacoopa said:
Hi Damo,

You seem to be pretty knowledgable on this subject. Could I bother you to give a bit more info:
More knowledgable than some of the posts on here thats for sure :rolleyes:

soopacoopa said:
Does this mean that the MINI slider handle is retained...
Yes
soopacoopa said:
...and that the Sparco easy entry handle is linked to the slider released mechanism, as on the OE seats? In fact, does the JCW seat even do this?
Yes, assuming your talking about the Milano's here, can't comment on the Torreno's.

The JCW's are just reupholstered Milano's so the Milano's shouldn't be any differant at all.

The JCW's do have the "Easy entry" however when mine where supplied from Cool New, they weren't supplied with a retaining ring that holds the easy entry wire an to the bottom of the back rest of the new seat.

Look at the 4th (bottom) picture on the instructions pobsey has posted. I wasn't supplied with the part labled H. Because of this mine don't slide when you tilt the seat. Its no big deal as hardly anyone gets in the rear of mine anyway. It is something I intend to rectify when I refit them in the S in May.

soopacoopa said:
Do you know if the JCW frame would fit a Non-JCW Sparco Milano?[/sparco]

I don't see why not. The JCW one is still a Sparco part. The only real difference with the frame, that I can see, other than it being solid, is it has a metal piece attached to a fix the wire in exactly the same way as the standard seats. (The wires for the airbag, Seat Belt Pre tensioner and if you have them the wire for the heated seats)

soopacoopa said:
Excellent! If you think on, could you check for part numbers on the various bits.

Thanks, Richard
Mine came from Cool New, so the only part number I have is for the whole JCW seat package which includes the Sub Frames.

·
The de Chromed MINI
3,218 Posts
I have the full instructions at home for the JCW seats, at the moment I'm away for the weekend, so if I get a chance I will have a look at the instructions and try to find any other part numbers.

I got my seats form a dealer in the midlands through Charger petes group buy, I too did not get the retaining clips for the easy entry, so I went to m y local dealer got the clips and it does work but not very well as the seat bolsters come togehter before the easy entry mechanism works, so you have to really push the seat forward to get it wo work, not the best thing, but since there has only being 3 people in the back its not really a problem!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks guys! It sounds like the full functionality of the system is far from polished...Just like the OE seats!!! But I guess the fit & comfort more than make up for the small shortcomings mentioned. The reason I'm so interested in the JCW bases is that the Milano seat will have been homologated in the MINI with this base, giving a little bit more reassurance that it's all going to stay in place during a crash.

One more thing...Any regrets on upgrading the seats?

Cheers, Richard

·
The de Chromed MINI
3,218 Posts
Just had a look at the instructions for fitting the seats and there are no additional part numbers listed, best bet is have a word with the parts guy at your local dealer :eek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts