MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I''d been looking on E-Bay at some MINI keys with the buttons (fob) that a supplier was and is still selling.
They have all been pre-cut so obviously won't fit my car when I get it.
I bought one for £6.00 inc P&P.
Having taken it apart (It is brand new) the key will come out by removing the pin, so that a new one can be placed in. As the spare key that comes with the car is a solid one, I think I can take it apart and swap it.
The main question is....... Can the key fob be re-programmed by the user or is it a dealer only thing ?
If it's a dealer thing, then how much ?
Has anyone tried this before ?

Please let me know.

If all else fails, I'll just use the nice new battery in the fob as a spare !

45 Days to go until 1st March !

Cooper 'S' DS, RIBC, Chilli Pack, Vis Pack, Auto Aircon, Minidisc.

·
Registered
9,661 Posts
It's a dealer thing-The guy is still selling them on Ebay-I cant see the point my self of buyin it-when you get 2 Keys and a Wallet key when you buy your MINI.

·
MINI guitar strummer....
65 Posts
The dealer can program your key for you --I don't know of a way to do it yourself. Don't know how long it would take but I think you can count on a charge, just like the charge to upgrade your car program. I've ordered a new key thru MINI US and had to show car registration and ID just to place the order for the key cut. My spare did not have the remote on it, so don't know how stringent they would be about identification to reprogram yours. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts