MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
EP3 wanna be
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of replacing my stock plugs with Denso IK20. Is it necessary to have it re-gapped? Cause according to the manual found with the Screamin Demon, the optimum power can be obtain if it is regapped to 0.065mm. Anyone has any comments? Has anyone did their without regapping???

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Hi, I presume you mean 0.65mm not 0.065mm . These cars are incredibly sensitive to what plugs they will accept. If it doesnt like your plug choice or gap, that emissions can come on instantly,
We tried some various equivalents recently one particular one we tried was the NGK
PFR6B Double platinun,correct heat range & pysically correct (This is the best plug in an Audi TT even at 30psi boost, and we had some) yet that emisions light comes on instantly even after fault code reset. Yet the Champion equialent runs a dream.!
Iridiums are best for these cars NGK or Denso.
Best Regards Roland GT Tuning Ltd

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
texas said:
I am thinking of replacing my stock plugs with Denso IK20. Is it necessary to have it re-gapped? Cause according to the manual found with the Screamin Demon, the optimum power can be obtain if it is regapped to 0.065mm. Anyone has any comments? Has anyone did their without regapping???

Thanks in advance
minimc and I both went through this about a year ago. Except we both have reduced pulleys. Both of us have the Demon coil.
He was brave enough to try .060 and that would be thousandths of an inch.
He wasn't happy with the results. I've been running .045 for about a year. No problems.
You may not need to regap them. If I remember right they come at .040 or .042, something like that. You should always check them though.

0.65 millimeter = 0.0255906 inch. That is waaaay too narrow

·
265 Posts
Denso Plug Part #

I want to source Denso Iridium plugs here in Sydney, but am a little unsure of the part number (as they are not a common brand). Is IK22 the actual part number, or is merely a heat range (please pardon this ignorant question)? I tried e-mailing the Denso distributor in So-Cal but have not heard peep from them. Appreciate any input.

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
Amigo said:
I want to source Denso Iridium plugs here in Sydney, but am a little unsure of the part number (as they are not a common brand). Is IK22 the actual part number, or is merely a heat range (please pardon this ignorant question)? I tried e-mailing the Denso distributor in So-Cal but have not heard peep from them. Appreciate any input.
That is the plug number or part number.
Just like Champion RBL 16Y

They both reflect heat range in the part number. The IK22 is suggested for cars running reduction pullies. IK20 is for OEM replacement.

·
265 Posts
obehave said:
That is the plug number or part number.
Just like Champion RBL 16Y

They both reflect heat range in the part number. The IK22 is suggested for cars running reduction pullies. IK20 is for OEM replacement.
Obehave - Thanks. Finally glad to have that sorted. Now I can head down to my local Lexus/Toyota dealer to order it :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
texas said:
I tried searching for the denso website and they do not have any plugs that are made for the Mini. The stock gapping for the denso are 0.045mm.

I did a search on the NGK site and they listed are on this link:

www.ngksparkplugs.com/apps/car_truck_suv

Anyone tried the Iridium IX b4? :)
IK20 comes pregapped at 0.044inches = 1.11mm
IK22 comes pregapped at 0.032inches = 0.81mm

Its a matter of measurement units.. over here we are more familiar with the metric system.
Hope that clears all. :)

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Many of the performance NGK plugs are available as either std gap of 0.8mm or with a
1.1mm gap .These are denoted as a '11' suffix at the end. Eg PFR6B has 0.8mm gap
& PFR6B-11 has a 1.1mm gap. If you increase the gap yourself the electrode faces will no longer be parellel to each other but at a slight angle. Therefore where possible buy with the gap you require,this is why they make two different plugs (ie they dont just 'bend it out a bit more' Best Regards Roland Gt Tuning

·
EP3 wanna be
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
roland2003 said:
Many of the performance NGK plugs are available as either std gap of 0.8mm or with a
1.1mm gap .These are denoted as a '11' suffix at the end. Eg PFR6B has 0.8mm gap
& PFR6B-11 has a 1.1mm gap. If you increase the gap yourself the electrode faces will no longer be parellel to each other but at a slight angle. Therefore where possible buy with the gap you require,this is why they make two different plugs (ie they dont just 'bend it out a bit more' Best Regards Roland Gt Tuning
Thanks Roland. So basically what you are saying is to get plugs that are already gapped and not touch it. In my case, i guess i ahve ore or less decided in getting the Denso iridium IK20 and i would not be re-gapping it. Is that fine?

·
EP3 wanna be
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
roland2003 said:
We stock the NGK not the Denso,I have not done any testing on the Denso so cannot confirm optimum gap (Im sure others have though) Generally speaking I would start with the std gap. Regards Roland Gt Tuning
Thanks mate... appreciate your advice.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Amigo said:
If your still having a problem sourcing those Denso IK22 spark plugs check these guys out.
@ $9.95 USD ea. best price yet.

http://www.ltbmotorsport.com/densoik165303.html

:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Each & every level of GTT performance package includes NGK Iridium sparkplugs supplied & fitted. At base level conversion we use std heat range but still Iridium,above that we use colder heat Iridium range. We choose the NGK's as they (reputably) last longer than Denso,but either way these are fine plugs.Not cheap but still only half the price of the JCW
'non-Iridium' cold plugs. :eek:
Regards Roland Gt Tuning

·
Registered
171 Posts
Could you share

roland2003 said:
Each & every level of GTT performance package includes NGK Iridium sparkplugs supplied & fitted. At base level conversion we use std heat range but still Iridium,above that we use colder heat Iridium range. We choose the NGK's as they (reputably) last longer than Denso,but either way these are fine plugs.Not cheap but still only half the price of the JCW
'non-Iridium' cold plugs. :eek:
Regards Roland Gt Tuning
The NGK Iridium std and colder heat range NGK part numbers that you include. At what level of modifications would you recommend going to the colder range plugs.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.