MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the Bhozmobile project out does mine but I thought I too would jump on and rate the work ThinkMINI.co.uk are carrying out. I just got my service, front end totally poly bushed, new suspension, and some engine and ICE tweeks by them.

The car went for a service, which they carried out in double quick time in their new facilities near Holt Heath, Worcestershire. I provided the parts (I’m fussy about what is used on the car sometimes, so I always source my parts for service and just give them to the garage now the car is out of warrantee) and Adrian did a stellar job of sorting it all out.

While working on the basic service Adrian spotted a bunch of things on the car (which to be fair has got 70k of hard miles on the clock) that were just not right, or down right bordering on dangerous. With that noted he had a quick whisk round the rest of the car as he knew I’d want to know the full picture, even if there was nothing I could afford to do about it.

Adrian dropped me a line to let me know that there was some stuff that needed looking into, and said he or Dave would have a chat to me on arrival to collect the car. Once I got there Adrian and Dave gave me a quick summary of what bits could be done, and what bits had to be done (including my totally destroyed wishbone bushes and shocks). So slightly disheartened with the prospect of a long list of small niggles and big problems I went off in pursuit of parts (they did offer to source everything, but I felt I wanted to pick and choose, and Dave and Adrian were nothing but supportive of that, even lending advice when I was stumped as to the best parts/brands).

Once I had everything I gave them a call and they fitted me in at the last minute, despite a busy schedule, so I could have the car on the road for the DBRally.net Scotland run. The only problem I had was that I still had 2 totally knackered shocks and the price of OEM or aftermarket kit was looking a bit daunting once added to the costs of all the engine bits and the new bushings. ThinkMINI.co.uk came to the rescue again, with Dave offering me a fantastic deal on some second hand refurbed Spax coilovers. The work was done and dusted in under a day, which in my mind was fabulous, and the results were something else. The car was transformed, and after a trip back to ThinkMINI one evening to tweek the suspension settings for rebound and height to my preference from the intitial choices that Dave made, she now drives like a dream. Comfortable ride compared to my KW springs, low body roll and a lesson from Dave in how to adjust everything on the side of the road now means I’m all ready for the summer season of MINI events and trackdays!

Added to this was the unbelievable efforts by Dave (who also runs autotech of ModernMINI fame) to fix a dodgy sidelight earth, a Parrot Bluetooth kit and an MP3 connection to my OEM CD player in the few days I had left before Scotland… Which included working in the car while it was on the ramp as Adrian did things to the suspension, and seeing me one evening at his home as passed through from work!

Altogether a great job with great service… Pics to follow

·
Nearly there
3,142 Posts
Great write up.

What Spax coilovers do you have and what do you think off them? Changing mine soon

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll check the model name/number and let you know. I have them set to about 14 on the front and 11 on the rear (I think thats right out of a total of 24 or something like that settings). She is set soft at the moment due to the big Scotland trip but I'll stiffen it up soon. Especially for MINIshowdown and Castle Combe.

I find it great as its dead easy to set the rebound and tbh the height adjustments not too bad either.

·
Nearly there
3,142 Posts
I'll check the model name/number and let you know. I have them set to about 14 on the front and 11 on the rear (I think thats right out of a total of 24 or something like that settings). She is set soft at the moment due to the big Scotland trip but I'll stiffen it up soon. Especially for MINIshowdown and Castle Combe.

I find it great as its dead easy to set the rebound and tbh the height adjustments not too bad either.

Would you recommend them?

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, personally for someone who enjoys reasonable motorway or cruising confort but every now and then goes a bit mad on a track or drag strip... I would. Although having been in a RMW X coilovered car... I have to admit they are better.

Mine are an RSX coilover kit... I believe they are the 580 model

·
Nearly there
3,142 Posts
Yes, personally for someone who enjoys reasonable motorway or cruising confort but every now and then goes a bit mad on a track or drag strip... I would. Although having been in a RMW X coilovered car... I have to admit they are better.

Mine are an RSX coilover kit... I believe they are the 580 model

Are roads in Northern Ireland are a bit bumpy the surfaces aren't the best. And i do enjoy the B and Country roads!:D

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
I have found the SPAX RSX to be a very good set up ,and for the price excellent, good comfort and handling in one package , a big change easily noticeable from stock .
the more track orientated set ups i found a little hard for the road .
When pressed the SPAX ,respond well and give a very confident ride and feedback ,coupled with good tyres well worth considering
Note the early cars have a slightly different fitting from the later cars 02/02 on but with later top mounts and rods can be converted - bargain as the early set up is cheaper

·
Nearly there
3,142 Posts
I have found the SPAX RSX to be a very good set up ,and for the price excellent, good comfort and handling in one package , a big change easily noticeable from stock .
the more track orientated set ups i found a little hard for the road .
When pressed the SPAX ,respond well and give a very confident ride and feedback ,coupled with good tyres well worth considering
Note the early cars have a slightly different fitting from the later cars 02/02 on but with later top mounts and rods can be converted - bargain as the early set up is cheaper

There popular in the classic world and I haven't heard many people have them in new minis. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts