MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I hope you help me with a bit of advice please!

I have a Mini Cooper (52) and recently my main two front door speakers have stopped working (produce minimal sound). The front tweeters and rear speakers are working as expected, so I think the main ones have "blown".

I have taken the passenger side main speaker out and tested it out of the car and it barely producers any sound at all.
I have also tried an older speaker in it's place in the car and that is producing sound correctly.

My question, therefore, is should I upgrade the existing speakers or replace them with the stock ones from BMW?
I have looked at some 13 cm new speakers from the major manufacturers, but am concerned that the head unit (it's the stock tape/radio unit with a cd changer in the boot) won;t be powerful enough to power them at the optimum levels. I noticed the speakers that blew have 15w printed on the back and most of the new speakers I have seen seem to be 25w +.

Would replacing them with newer non-stock speakers lead to a degradation in sound quality? I do want good quality sound, but like to play a mix of music from easy listening to dance, so if I replace them with stock speakers my thoughts are this may happen again.

Could anyone recommend a course of action please?
Whether I should
a) replace them with stock speakers
b) replace them with newer speakers of equivalent or more power

I'd rather not install an extra amplifier if I can help it, but if there is a solution a lot of people recommend I would consider it!

Many thanks,

Jamie :cool:

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
You are correct that the stock head unit amp will not allow speakers to be at their best but that would be £200 + high quality speakers. I think the stock headunit has enough power for speakers £100 or less if you make sure the new speakers are efficient. You can also easily replace with 16.5cm components for better bass. Aftermarket speakers will be better IMHO.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi SteveM3,

Many thanks for your comments.

I think I will upgrade the speakers in that case. I can get a mounting plate and then I'll look into some speakers.

I'm no expert on ice, and have a budget of up to £80. I was looking at some JVC, Alpine, Pioneer but if anyone has any recommedations for good quality sound (with a bit of bass!) I'd be grateful.

Jamie

·
Registered
352 Posts
get a small 2 channel amp with hi level inputs and run some front components off it ( any 6 1/2" with adapters will be better than stock )

I have some brand new adapters if you do get some 6 1/2"s

if you are anywhere near huddersfield you can have them for a fiver

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Something like the Alpine SPS-171A should fit the bill.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi all,

Thanks for the advice.

I'll take a look at the set of Alpine speakers then.

Does anyone else have any other recommendations (apologies for all the questions here, I am a newbie when it comes to car audio!)

I've also noticed that the stock speaker uses a plastic type plug socket to fix the speaker to the wiring. If I bought new after market speakers, will the new speakers just plug in or would I need to modify the connector at all?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
get a small 2 channel amp with hi level inputs and run some front components off it ( any 6 1/2" with adapters will be better than stock )

I have some brand new adapters if you do get some 6 1/2"s

if you are anywhere near huddersfield you can have them for a fiver
Thanks for the offer - afraid I am not near Huddesfield though!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey mate,I recently put some new componet speakers in the front.A new head unit and an amplifier under my seat and the sound quality now is quite amazing.

I have the Cabrio so the sound was really bad stock but now its all fixed :biggrin:

I done a lot of trialing before i went for the HU amp speakers route and i dont honestly think by just replacing the speakers that it will make a massive differance.

I have some alpine speakers i bought for the back but they dont fit mate,they were 39 quid and would prob be a good replacement for ya fronts.I also have the connecters so they fit if ya want them you can have them a bit cheaper than what i paid.Otherwise they going on ebay.

Hope that helps ya a bit mate

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,

Thanks for the offer of the speakers and the information.

I am still researching and looking at the options available so I will reply here if I don't have any luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts