MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
zZzZzZzzzz....
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I was wondering what speakers you have in your mini and how you would rate them sound quality wise, volume levels and design aswell as affordability.

I recently changed from Rockford Fosgate to SoundStream.
http://www.mini2.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=58495&stc=1 5.25 inch Van Gogh components upfront

and http://www.mini2.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=58496&stc=1 Tatantula 6x9 2- way speakers in the rear.

They're excellent sound quality and volume wise but a bit steep money wise. Unsure whether I wanna waste the bootspace installing a sub. What are you running?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I run Focal 165 V2 Polyglass up front and Genesis 6x9 rears. In response to your sub
question there is no doubt a proper sub in the boot will be a lot better than anything 6x9's
can do. That's not to say there aren't a lot of people happy with 6x9's but if bass matters
to you go for a sub. I also found that amping my front speakers made a big difference even
over a "high power" head unit. If you decide you need the space more you could always
spend the money saved by this on a good quality 4 channel amp that'll fit under the seats.

·
230whp an counting
3,056 Posts
i striped my totally over the top system out an have changed it to a much more streamlined system.

Focal K2 power components Up front
DLS A5 three channel amp
JL audio W6 12" sub

Really happy with the sytem is really high quality an it plays loud too

Attachments

·
Sugardaddy
221 Posts
Loui said:
i striped my totally over the top system out an have changed it to a much more streamlined system.

Focal K2 power components Up front
DLS A5 three channel amp
JL audio W6 12" sub

Really happy with the sytem is really high quality an it plays loud too
How much would something like that cost?

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have an '05 MCS with the standard sound system.

It's a bit disappointing, I have a '94 Ford with the JBL 6 speaker system that sounds better!

I now wish I'd gotten the HK, this one is substandard, at best.

Just my 2c worth . . . :rolleyes:

·
zZzZzZzzzz....
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got the amp but I'm wondering if there's a way to install it drill-free. Perhaps with velcro straps or something. Any ideas? I've also got a bit of the same problem in regards to the sub matter. Will it need drilling? I'd rather spare the hastle of a false floor :p thanks

·
Diesel Powered
290 Posts
PWMC449 said:
I've got the amp but I'm wondering if there's a way to install it drill-free. Perhaps with velcro straps or something. Any ideas? I've also got a bit of the same problem in regards to the sub matter. Will it need drilling? I'd rather spare the hastle of a false floor :p thanks
Ok, in reply to the thread and also your last question I am running a Nakamichi CD400 head unit through 2 Genesis Dual Mono amps playing through Dynaudio components and a 12" Genesis sub in a box in the boot. My amps are velcro'd to the carpet in the rear footwells and covered over. I rarely carry more than 1 passenger - if I want to I can whip the amps out.

How big is the amp you're thinking of velcroing? I once embedded 2 Rockford amps upside down in the head lining of a Peugeot 106 behind the front headrests, didn't get in the way and nobody saw them from outside (unless they crouched down!)
You really must try a boxed subwoofer, but if you decide on one make sure you find one that's designed for a very small enclosure, otherwise you'll fill the boot straight away. You can find recommended enclosure sizes on most of the subwoofer manufacturer's websites. As you can probably tell, the enclosure I have can be removed in seconds.

Keep us up to date buddy!
:)

·
zZzZzZzzzz....
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers Bianchiboy great help. I'll be uploading pics of my full install at around the 30th of the month when I've got cash for the installation. The amp I'm planning to put is a Soundstream Picasso 4x120 and is not too big but not small enough to put into the cubbyholes as i had wished to. It belonged to a friend of mine who gave it to me at a reasonable price so i thought y not? I'm also thinking of installing a Becker Monza head unit because it matches the "factory" look. Love the install btw D'u do it yourself?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Bianchiboy said:
Ok, in reply to the thread and also your last question I am running a Nakamichi CD400 head unit through 2 Genesis Dual Mono amps playing through Dynaudio components and a 12" Genesis sub in a box in the boot.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Thats the sound of jealousy ;) .

·
Diesel Powered
290 Posts
PWMC449 said:
Cheers Bianchiboy great help. I'll be uploading pics of my full install at around the 30th of the month when I've got cash for the installation. The amp I'm planning to put is a Soundstream Picasso 4x120 and is not too big but not small enough to put into the cubbyholes as i had wished to. It belonged to a friend of mine who gave it to me at a reasonable price so i thought y not? I'm also thinking of installing a Becker Monza head unit because it matches the "factory" look. Love the install btw D'u do it yourself?
Anytime! Have you thought about fitting the amp under a front seat? I've seen that done on a few cars, also how about right at the front of the highest part of front seat passenger footwell, above the passenger's feet just below the back of the glovebox? As far as the install goes, I did the headunit myself but left the rest to Leeds Car Audio and I'm glad I did.
SteveM3 said:
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Thats the sound of jealousy ;).
Whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. That's the sound of the supercharger on your S as it leaves my D for dead! I may have the ICE but you've got the extra 90bhp! :eek:

·
zZzZzZzzzz....
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought of the amplifier under the seat but isn't it harder to run the wires? Won't they be exposed? Also will a velcro installation be easy? If can be done easily then definately a better choice than the boot. cheers :D

·
Diesel Powered
290 Posts
If you're going to sit the amp flat on the floor and fix it with velcro, all you have to do is stick some extra strong velcro to the bottom of the amp (the 'hook' side of the velcro) and push it down on to the carpet. Use the type of velcro that bikers use to stick knee sliders to their leathers, it's really really strong. Wiring an amp that's under a seat is only difficult if you don't remove the seat and / or you're squeamish about lifting up the carpet to run the wires underneath!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Under the seat for the amp is not to hard just and makes things a little more stealthy + there is a reasonable amount of space under there.

As the amp is sitting low and between crossmembers is not going to go far. Don't use cloth velcro as this has a habit of losing its glue stick when it gets warm. Use the heavy duty plastic type. The stuff I have used was made by 3M and is incredibly strong.

The is plenty of room to run the wires just is a little time consuming removing all the trim.

Attachments

·
Pain In The ...
2,715 Posts
Pioneer DEH-P9400MP head unit
Focal Polyglass 6 ½” components
Infinity 6x9 speakers in rear
Infinity Perfect 12" sub
DLS A7 (the big 5) amplifier
2x Legacy 7.2" widescreen LCD monitors
Legacy DVD player

Fitted the Focals today, use to have Infinity fronts, loads louder and clearer now, might get the Focal 6x9s next.

Might change sub tho, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh must stop spending.............. :eek: :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
DCM said:
I installed my amp in the boot with 2 subs, check this link out for pics of the install

http://www.dmellors.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

I went with an all genesis setup, sounds pretty good
Very nice pictures, you and/or your camera must be very good. I hope I get the chance
to hear that system one day, I will expect to be impressed :cool: . Just one thing though
if you put groceries in the boot doesn't the milk and eggs turn to cottage cheese and
scrambled eggs when you crank the system up :).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.