MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I'm back!
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all...

We have a Sidewalk and now want to become real mini-ers, by doing away with our eco-terrorist family car (ok, ok, it's a 4x4... sorry!). We have seen the error of our ways and our now looking at a Clubman. Thing is, I've got a bit used to the luxuries in the Sidewalk so am finding a Clubman quite expensive. :aargh:

Any thoughts on what I've come up with so far...

We did also talk about extra headlights and some black/silver union jack graphics (side repeaters and perhaps even on the roof... but not sure if it would spoil the look and more than break the bank!):confused:

MINI Cooper S Clubman £17,220.00
Exterior
Hot Chocolate :nice:
17" Pace Spoke Alloys (Part of CHILI Pack)
Black Bonnet Stripes
Roof&Mirror Caps in Black

Interior
Lea Lounge Hot Chocolate (Part of CHILI Pack)
Interior Trim Piano Black

Editions & Packages
CHILI Pack

Optional equipment
Multi-func. Steering Whl
Sport Leather Steer Wheel (Part of CHILI Pack)
Chrome-Line Interior
Visibility Pack
Auto-Dim Interior Mirror
Colour Line Cream White
Interior World Hot Chocolate
Sport Button:D
Park Distance Control :aargh:
Rain Sensor & Lights On
Bi-Xenon Headlights (wish we had these on the Sidewalk)
Automatic Air Conditioning (Part of CHILI Pack)
Navigation System (??? to me, the interior looks a lot better with the Nav built in, plus thinking it will be the norm by the time we come to trade in/sell) :confused::puzzled:

·
I'm back!
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've managed to work out how to extract some of the piccies from the spec. Probably not great quality, but gives the impression of what it will look like. Both looks and is very expensive :frown:

Having said that,we still always smile when we are driving the Sidewalk after a year and about 15k miles, so hopefully this would be the same (and we would be more likely to drive the "family" car at the weekend if it was this one, so would share the mileage better :D )

Will have to decide what to do... we had originally thought about the sun roof, but I think I'd rather go for Sat Nav instead (plus a bit, obviously!). It's very easy to keep ticking boxes isn't it?!

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
A good spec, although I would go for the regular Cooper, not the S (too hard a ride for one thing).

Not sure too about Hot Chocolate, but never yet seen one, might be better in the flesh! Have you actually seen one?

What dealer will you buy from in North Yorkshire?

·
I'm back!
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:frown::frown:
A good spec, although I would go for the regular Cooper, not the S (too hard a ride for one thing).

Not sure too about Hot Chocolate, but never yet seen one, might be better in the flesh! Have you actually seen one?

What dealer will you buy from in North Yorkshire?
Dealers is a question - we live near Settle, so Lloyds (Prestons as was) is our closest, but have heard such good things about Derek Woodman, I've called them. Also found a corporate discount thing through work with Sytners in Sheffield, but they are going to email me some prices "in a couple of days" and that was Monday... Have you got some suggestions? I've not heard great things about Lister Park, and Scotthall have been fine on the one service I took it for there on the way to work, but it's not very local to home. Blackpool is probably quicker to get to (although not on the way to work!).

S v non... we've really enjoyed the zippiness of the Sidewalk, so that's my preference for now. We're hopefully going to do a comparison test drive soon, which will help us decide.

In terms of hot chocolate - I saw one a while ago and did like it, but we are a bit undecided, because it is a bit unusual. The other choices are pepper white or perhaps dark silver. Pepper White appears increasingly common, and really needs vipers or similar to look right on the new style new Mini I think, and the dark silver doesn't really do it for me. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Yes, it is really easy to keep checking off those boxes. ;) That said, you know you've got quite a few extras on there that have nothing to do with performance or comfort but are much more...shall we say appearance based? So if price is important, why not get rid of all those "little" extras that add up to thousands? But somehow, I think you know how you could whittle that price tag down pretty easily yourself.:p

I'm surprised you're not going for the diesel Clubman - I know if we had them here in the states, that I would have.

No matter which way you go, I think you'll enjoy this new breed of MINI.:cool: Keep us posted!

Reactions: Matt_and_Cat

·
I'm back!
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, it is really easy to keep checking off those boxes. ;) That said, you know you've got quite a few extras on there that have nothing to do with performance or comfort but are much more...shall we say appearance based? So if price is important, why not get rid of all those "little" extras that add up to thousands? But somehow, I think you know how you could whittle that price tag down pretty easily yourself.:p

I know, I know... but it is nice to have a few home comforts :wink:

Slightly more fundanmental problem encountered on our test drive yesterday... we have 5 people in our family, thus looking for a family car with 5 seats - roll on the Clubman. All fine with 5 (ish) in the car, until two are little people who need booster seats, which appear to take up the whole the rear bench seat. Now having to rethink. Giving away children usually frowned on, but because of the age gap (4 and 6 year old at the bottom end, then a surly 15 year old step daughter) we don't have many family days out so need to ponder. :aargh:

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Yup, giving away children is "usually frowned on" - certainly in place of buying a car, even a MINI. ;) As for that 15 year old, even if she's off on her own more and more, you'd still want to be able to have everyone in the car when you needed to. As much as I love the Clubman, I can't imagine three people fitting in the back....though I know your version of the car is configured for three.

Feel for you, but you might just have to trade that Sidewalk for the Clubman, if you really want it.:bad::wink:

Reactions: Matt_and_Cat

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'd have a sunroof over nav and climate any day. If you've got 2 cars - buy a portable unit for 100 quid that you can swap between the 2 cars. Climate will unnecessarily eat away at your economy - and the environment. I've got aircon in my sunroofed S but probably only use it to demist the screen. Give me fresh air and light through the roof - particularly if you go for a darkish interior which I have. Don't think the Nav will have any effect on resale. Very expensive option for little return. By the sound of it though, if you need a proper 5 seater you should be looking at a 5 door Golf GTi.

·
Registered
543 Posts
a surly 15 year old step daughter) we don't have many family days out so need to ponder. :aargh:
I can't see a stroppy lass wanting to sit in the back of anything as she grows up so isn't the question really about how comfy your wife would be on the centre seat of the rear?

(She won't be BTW!)

I'm afraid I'm with others and wonder if a Clubman is really the right car for you - even a D! :biggrin:

·
I'm back!
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't see a stroppy lass wanting to sit in the back of anything as she grows up so isn't the question really about how comfy your wife would be on the centre seat of the rear?

(She won't be BTW!)

I'm afraid I'm with others and wonder if a Clubman is really the right car for you - even a D! :biggrin:
Sadly probably going to have to agree :mad:

Any other suggestions?!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts