MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not intended to be a "performance" thread or a "Racing" thread, more a general experiential thread. It is expected that all experience discussed here is either "Street Legal" or gained on a closed circuit course.

What experiences do you have with the performance and handling of your stock or near stock (pullies, JCW etc - not radically modified) Cooper S?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Uh . . . It's great!
My good experiences have been lapping at Pacific Raceways, and driving safely on public streets. My single bad experience was over-cooking it on a freeway on-ramp, hitting/jumping a curb, and putting a couple of dings in my right-rear wheel. The pulley and CAI add a useful amount of power, but the car is still slow off the line, due mostly (I think) to the tall overall gearing and the very heavy wheel/tire combination that comes with the Sport Package. I most enjoy driving the car in the 50mph-70mph speed range (2nd/3rd/4th gears), as the car seems to have a lot of power available, and great steering feel, to go with the good handling.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I Don't get to drive my Wife's cooper S too much. But she got a ticket in it 3 days after we picked it up. :rolleyes:

I agree the launch off the line with these cars is a bit lacking. Unless you get the revs up and abuse the clutch.. Once rolling and the Supercharger is making boost this car is a kick in the pants. Only thing to compare it to is my 1970 Porsche 914 (C street prepared) in the SCCA rules.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Paul Mullett said:
Could you be more specific as to what information you're after, otherwise you might end up with a load of simple "it's great" messages, which while very true, might not prove too helpful!

Paul
Good point -

Top speed

handling at top speed

road conditions

altitude

car prep (stock or near stock only please - JCW/pulley etc ok - full race prep - go to the racing section)

My experience so far:

MINI JCW pre airbox and injectors. R84 wheels with stock Dunlop SP Sport 5000A DSST run flats at 30psi. Elevation 2000 ft

Top speed (ran out of straight road) 132MPH (+/- 2).

60 degrees f, road conditions dry

Didn't seem to have a lot more left. Front end felt somewhat flighty. Stock brakes perfectly adequate.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Top speed: best so far was ~139 MPH

handling at top speed: It's not that I don not love my little MINI but at high speeds the handling is not perfect. First thing is that when cornering at very high speeds (80-100MPH) and slightly bumpy surface the car is very nervous. (short wheelbase and harsh SS+) When going more or less in a straight line the handling is surprisingly good.
Second Problem is due to the brakes. They dont grip too well (IMHO) and when decelerating hard from higher speeds the rear end gets very nervous. (Let's not even think about decelerating in a high speed bend.)

road conditions: All that we get here. comparably good surfaces + fast & curvy roads

altitude: ~300ft

car prep (stock or near stock only please - JCW/pulley etc ok - full race prep - go to the racing section)
completly stock 05 MCS (but the works kit is on its way)

The bottom line: Extremely good high speed handling for a car of it's size, with a lot of potential & room for improvement for those "spirited drivers".
--> Suspension Mod will be next.

Cheers

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
Dave said:
Good point -

Top speed

handling at top speed

road conditions

altitude

My experience so far:

MINI JCW pre airbox and injectors. R84 wheels with stock Dunlop SP Sport 5000A DSST run flats at 30psi. Elevation 2000 ft

Top speed (ran out of straight road) 132MPH (+/- 2).

60 degrees f, road conditions dry

Didn't seem to have a lot more left. Front end felt somewhat flighty. Stock brakes perfectly adequate.
I had the same run flats on R-84s. Your tire pressure is too low. Turn in and tracking feel much better at 35psi or more. Much depends on loads, personal preference etc.

In reference to an above comment. Lightening your tire/wheel combo makes a LARGE difference in launch and handling.

For a while I switched back and forth from track tires to my R84/Dunlop setup. Geez what a difference.

Top speed? Pretty meaningless really.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The term "handling" can mean many different things. Some people refer to a car´s good handling when it´s easy to parallel park. Others expect the car to corner well at 125 mph before stating it handles well. :rolleyes:

I don´t expect anything I would call "handling" at top speed from a 20k Euro car. We had similar discussions about high speed (100+ mph) cornerning in BMW forums and I don´t think road cars in general are made for aggressive cornering at 80 or 90 percent of their top speed. I like the change of direction and the planted and hard-wired feeling the MINI offers but I don´t test it on the autobahn. The MINI handles best in the speed bracket from 30 up to 90 mph. Below that there is too much understeer, beyond it the problems stated above do interfer with driving fun and encouragement. Keep in mind though how brilliant the setup and the layout of the car are, it´s still limited by its concept and it is also limited by the laws of physics. Very agile cars don´t tend to have mind-blowing high speed stability and very surefooted straight runners don´t tend to be very inspiring around slower corners. The only cars that can combine both are top of the range sports cars like Ferraris and Porsches.

Klaus

1 - 8 of 8 Posts