MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know if the new 05 cooper is lower than a bottom of the range renault clio 02 model? Also do I need to be especially careful about going over speed bumps with the SS+. Never really bothered about them in the clio - just gone over them quite happily at 20 mph or whatever and the cars been fine but I suspect I will need to be more careful in the cooper with harder suspension. What about ground clearance? There are pretty big speed bumps round my way, is there any danger of scraping the bottom?

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have an 02 Clio, though its lowered 80mm so i tend to hit everything!

The Cooper is lower than a standard Clio but having driven a Cooper along speedbumps i've found no problems. The SS+ stiffens but does not lower the car.

-Rob

·
MUGEN POWER
11,372 Posts
If I was you I wudnt be going to quick over them!!

depending on the ramp but on most occasions 5-10mph is plenty fast enuff in a mini!!!

and yes u can scrape the front jus watch ramps in multistoreys mainly tho!

:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
There are loads of speed bumps where I live but I've had no problems so far with them in my Cooper. We have a 20 mph speed limit and it's fine even with the lowered suspension.

·
MUGEN POWER
11,372 Posts
Minnie Mouse said:
Don't drive in West Hampstead.....for some reason the speed bumps there are gigantic....nearly lost my undercarriage yesterday several times. I must write to Camden Council and complain!
Poor Minnie Mouse!!!
it will most likely just been the plastic under the front bumper scraping;)

av a quick look and you'll probably see scuff marks onit.

·
totally sure!
25,310 Posts
RedUn said:
it will most likely just been the plastic under the front bumper scraping;)

av a quick look and you'll probably see scuff marks onit.
I can't......I'm scared!!!

I drove down Hampstead Lane (London again!!) at the junction with Whitestone Pond te other day and went down a pot hole so big that the jolt actually stopped Anastacia playing and belting out on the CD player...how big was that then!!

Minnie :confused:

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Minnie Mouse said:

I drove down Hampstead Lane (London again!!) at the junction with Whitestone Pond te other day and went down a pot hole so big....
Ouch!!

Minnie Mouse said:
...that the jolt actually stopped Anastacia playing and belting out on the CD player..
Ah, so not all bad then.

;)

·
Once lost, now found..
204,985 Posts
I tend to scrape the front lip on some speed bumps around here.

Driveways and stuff too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Don't drive over the kerb!

I haven't had any trouble with speed bumps, but I drove over a (not very high) kerb soon after I got my Cooper, and sheared off the right front jacking point (those big blocks of rubber on the undercarriage near each wheel). It made an awful noise, and I thought I'd killed the car!

·
Registered
836 Posts
I've got speed bumps (or ramps as we like to call them) all over where I live, and pretty much all over everywhere in this county, in the city centre they have nice smooth ones you can go over in 30mph and bearly feel it, but in my estate they put down dodgy ones. I was used to driving a piece of poo before I got the mini and they never bothered me, I've got SS+ too and that's not really a problem with them, the front is quite low etc. But not that low, but in terms of speed bumps I do find myself slowing down to a near stop because the car just can't take them at any speed, it's so short it's just too rough on it. The CD player skips and everything. I would be more careful, as someone said already parking up infront of high kerbs, I too have grated the plastic underneath my front bumper - more than once!

·
What's this button do?
568 Posts
When my mother lived in Switzerland in the 60s, she and her roommate would have to get out of the car to lift the front of her Mini over bumps and curbs, so it could be far worse...
-Eric

·
MUGEN POWER
11,372 Posts
Minnie Mouse said:

I drove down Hampstead Lane (London again!!) at the junction with Whitestone Pond te other day and went down a pot hole so big that the jolt actually stopped Anastacia playing and belting out on the CD player...how big was that then!!

Minnie :confused:
mine skips on cats eyes:rolleyes:..........:D :p

·
The Hartge Experience
1,032 Posts
I have lowered my Zs and have no troubles at all. but there quite high anyways. Dont really have low bumpers. Whereas the mini does, i seen ones lowered by 25mm and they look well low! I say its worth it ;)

·
MUGEN POWER
11,372 Posts
my mates Zs is dropped 40 on spax springs and dampers and theres loads more clearance then mine dropped wot ever it's gone down 30 or so :p

i'd say the average drop is 25mm ish, plenty for normal road use u cud go lower but it mite be a pain in places

on a 25mm drop u still ave to be carefull tho!;)

:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
14 Participants
RedUn
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing