MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Official MINI2 Fluffer
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read this news article online and quite frankly I'm not suprised that we have such idiots in charge of our Police Forces. :mad: :

Police chief caught by speed camera

A police chief who is at the forefront of combating speeding on Britain's roads has admitted twice being caught out by roadside cameras.

As chair of the Association of Chief Police Officers' Roads Policing Enforcement Technology Committee, South Yorkshire's top officer Meredydd Hughes has played a leading role in national speed camera policy.

Now Mr Hughes has admitted he picked up three penalty points and a £60 fine after he was snapped by one camera in Sheffield.

He was later caught speeding again in South Wales, where he began his policing career, this time by a portable camera. The speed he was travelling at on each occasion has not been revealed.

But the chief constable, who took up his post in September, said his transgressions had only made him more determined to crack down on speeding drivers.

Mr Hughes believes this should even include hiding cameras, which currently have to be highly visible.

"At least you can't call me a hypocrite," he told the Sheffield Star. "If I had my way all speed cameras would be completely hidden and mobile. If we are serious about speed cameras, we will have to think about that."

Mr Hughes said he also wanted to ensure motorists were given more consistent signs to warn them of the speed limit and thought the debate dwelt too much on speed cameras.

He added: "Many people are still killed on the roads and speed cameras are just one way of enforcing the law.

"If I didn't have speed cameras I would be obliged to put officers at accident hotspots and that would mean fewer resources to investigate burglaries or deal with other serious crime in South Yorkshire."

Mr Hughes says that he cannot be accused of hypocrisy because he has been caught. :confused:

What about setting an example by obeying the law that you are attempting to uphold? And if it was so easy for him to err and commit such offences then surely it speaks volumes about arbitrary and inappropriate speed limits. And would he really place actual officers at accident blackspots? Most criminals use cars to commit burglaries and other serious crimes so more coppers on the roads would surely be a good thing.

At least I can sleep soundly knowing that our taxes are spent wisely on appropriate Chief Constables. What next? Convicted fraudsters running the Treasury?

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
He is the worst kind of hypocrite - he should get the damn dictionary out and look up the meaning of the word - telling others not to do something that you do yourself. Complete ****.

He's also probably not afraid of a ban, as a chief constable he can get himself chaufferred around.

·
The Red Fox
4,979 Posts
Don't you worry laddy...when I join the police...things will change...Like I won't speed any more to avoid these kinda reports in the news! :D

And 95mph?! Thats pretty piddly to what I...

Said too much! :rolleyes:

·
The Red Fox
4,979 Posts
Tony*t3 said:
He's also probably not afraid of a ban, as a chief constable he can get himself chaufferred around.
Well apparently, it WAS his CHAUFFER who got done...I think. Thats what the report I read in the err.... (Sun) said...Probably wrong knowing me!

And he was probably on his way to an Anti-Speeding Speech or summat...irony eh?! ;) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
in Victoria (Australia) where I live, the projected revenue from speed cameras this year is around $460,000,000

that's more than the whole of California, and we've only got a population of about 5 million.

·
Gutter Princess
3,464 Posts
why doesn't he focus on the real issues - driving with out licenses and drunk driving, drug driving, no insurance, joy riding etc.... :mad:

·
can i go home yet
2,568 Posts
MickyD said:
in Victoria (Australia) where I live, the projected revenue from speed cameras this year is around $460,000,000

that's more than the whole of California, and we've only got a population of about 5 million.
are you sure? that doesnt seem very likely

·
Whatev.
2,878 Posts
Thats probably Australian Dollars he is talking in.

The way I understand it though is it is almost like there is a speed camera behind every bush in Vic. :(

·
Registered
882 Posts
Speeding doesn't kill, inappropriate speed does.

I'm all for raising the limit on motorways when its clear and dry day, but lowering it when its icy and foggy.

Speed cameras don't take into account people driving without insurance, joy riders, un-roadworthy cars that are deathtraps to passengers and other motorists....the list is endless.

Sorry if its a bit of subject but its a real gripe of mine. Spend more money teaching people how to use their indicators, how to use the correct lanes on roundabouts (not going in the righthand lane then cutting across to the left!!!!) and driving at responsible speeds where conditions permit (not sitting doing 23mph in a 60 zone whilst other motorists try and overtake causing more danger!).

·
The Red Fox
4,979 Posts
Intrepid said:
why doesn't he focus on the real issues - driving with out licenses and drunk driving, drug driving, no insurance, joy riding etc.... :mad:
Totally agree with you. On a motorway, although the speeds are high, they are the safest roads in Britain compared to normal roads. But those other things you mentioned are the biggest killers on our roads, but people completely overlook this and assume that speeding is the only cause of death on our roads. These other offences need to be made more aware of and combated more so than they currently are

·
The Red Fox
4,979 Posts
ChrisBuer said:
...and driving at responsible speeds where conditions permit (not sitting doing 23mph in a 60 zone whilst other motorists try and overtake causing more danger!).
This is a real gripe of mine. I got 7 minors on my driving test for my speed, which was sometimes JUST under the speed limit...but then you get people in 60s doing 40 and stuff! I mean if I get punished for being marginally under, why do these people escape?! And often, its the result of these drivers that results in horrible accidents and these people don't care that its their fault for angering their fellow motorist..

Kinda stepping on your point Chris but it ticks me off enormously!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

What we need is a thread where we can talk about our annoyances on the road, rather then going off topic in this thread...

·
Joy!
1,333 Posts
nice little article here on top gears site.

speed cameras

Basically our current laws on speed cameras are a human rights violation. According to the European court of law. Well the application has been accepted and is thier for review. Very slim chance that it would be passed (in my opinion we hold too much influence). But at least some people agree.

Like i have stated before, speed cameras dont tend to do anything to prevent speeding. Whilst they make people slow down, and are a great revenue for the government, I know from experience that, allthough i know im doing the appropriate speed i still become fixated on the speedo, rather than the road.

As for bad drivers, non indicators etc...dont get me started.

·
the DASH LIGHT king ? ;)
485 Posts
can i just add something...8/9 years ago i got hit head on in a hoffic accident, my car was wrecked, i was insured, the other guy wasnt, i even had to travel to liverpool to court because the guy wasnt insured, but he got away with it !!!! SHOCKED......so was i...the guys solicitor said that he thought he was insured and is very sorry to the damage caused to simon and his health ! i was stunned that someone cud get away with having no insurance ... anyone cud say that !! the law needs to be more strict...to get these peeps off the road and to lower our insurance premiums :mad: :mad: :mad:

keeping to the thread he was doing 60 in a 30 and got away with that also

·
Is it just me, or...?
546 Posts
2BAR_G40 said:
can i just add something...8/9 years ago i got hit head on in a hoffic accident, my car was wrecked, i was insured, the other guy wasnt, i even had to travel to liverpool to court because the guy wasnt insured, but he got away with it !!!! SHOCKED......so was i...the guys solicitor said that he thought he was insured and is very sorry to the damage caused to simon and his health ! i was stunned that someone cud get away with having no insurance ... anyone cud say that !! the law needs to be more strict...to get these peeps off the road and to lower our insurance premiums :mad: :mad: :mad:

keeping to the thread he was doing 60 in a 30 and got away with that also
That sucks big time.

My parents got rear-ended by a uninsured driver about ten years ago, who didn't stop at the accident, but buggered off. He pretty much got away with it as well. After the crash, he phoned the police to say his car had been stolen, and someone else was driving it (yeah, right, what a coincidence). He got off with a fine for being uninsured, I think. It was a nightmare for my parents to get the money back for the accident with an uninsured car.

That's about my biggest fear about having a new car, I'd nail these b :bad: :bad: tards to a post myself. :mad:

·
Now With More Cowbell
1,687 Posts
Intrepid said:
Because there's not as much revenue in that. It's alllll about the revenue collection. Unlike speeding, one can't set up roadside cameras to catch those without insurance or individuals who've had to many fizzy pops before climbing into their vehicle.

I've often commented about how haphazardly many of the speeding laws are enforced too. On my drive into work there's one stretch that's labelled a 50 zone. It also happens to have a police speed trap at least once a week. There have been days I've seen cops there 3 out of 5 weekdays. Yet I've never been pulled over for doing 60. Not once. A full 20% over the posted limit and they ignore me like I'm doing 49. If you're going to enforce (or rather, fail to enforce) laws with that much leeway, why bother?

-CW

·
Registered
882 Posts
It seems to be a well documented fact that since the introduction of speed cameras, there are less police on our roads today.

This has lead to a massive increase in people driving without insurance and also with unroadworthy cars.

Its no surprise that a number of people on this thread have had incidents with uninsured drivers!! :mad:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts