MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
iv got a 52 plate cooper that iv had a few weeks dont now if anyone has had this or nows what is wrong but as soon as i switch the engine on, my speedo needle wobbles erratically around the 0mph mark really wierd! but stops after a few seconds :puzzled:any ideas??

·
Registered
510 Posts
Got that in my 03 reg ONE and asked them to fix it under warrenty. Basically told a whole lot of crap from the dealer right up to some BMW clown. It's apparently a characterictic of the car. What they mean is we haven't a clue what causes it so let's make up a story to fob off the customer. Did get my speedo replaced but the new one also does it but perhaps not as much. Was originally told that it was due to a low battery, then temperature but I proved them wrong on both counts. Still have the car and it still does it. Probably rattles more in winter. After a while you just ignore it.

morrisminiminor

·
Registered
84 Posts
It's a problem with the battery apparently, my cooper s has the same problem, i took it to the BMW garage the other day for that and a few other things and two different guys told me its due to the battery not being fully charged or that there has been a flat battery at some point, so anyway they charged it up and said it should be fine but it hasn't helped and is still doing it, it's booked back in on monday for a part they had to order for something else so i am gona get back on their case... it makes me cringe when it does it!!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Yes they told me the same rubbish but couldn't explain when I had used the car for a week with a round trip of 36 miles and no stop starts why it started to vibrate at the end of my week when my wife had been using the car for a couple of miles up the road the previous week and it didn't vibrate. The temperature on my run had dropped the Monday and Tuesday of that wek as well so logically I'd have expected the problem on the Monday and Tuesday, It is more apparent during the winter months although I've had it occur during the height of summer.
They also couldn't understand why the car hatch wouldn't lock when it was cold either as they couldn't replicate the problem. Perhaps it was due to the fact that the car was in their warm garage. Hardly rocket science.
If you can put up with this intermittant fault, I would suggest you do. I still have the car and it hasn't gone phut on me yet. The old speedo on my car vibrated between 0 and 60 on the dial so was quite disconcerting to watch. The later speedo fitted under warrenty still vibrates but not nearly as badly. 'It's a characteristic of the car sir' Not many cars can do 60 MPG without turning a wheel.

morrisminiminor

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
My 06 MINI ONE did this after it hadnt been driven for a while, I put it down to it being colder and the battery maybe being run down a bit. Never caused a problem though :)

·
MINI on the brain!!!
1,510 Posts
Mine does it... but here in Oz its my rev counter and not my speedo... its done it since I got it... :D I've had a battery change but it still does it... It doesn't really bother me... coz it sorts itself out...

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
From MINI2 FAQ :-

Why does my speedometer shake or rattle on start up?

Short Answer:

It's re-zeroing itself. It only needs to re-zero after a reset, and this happens either a) when you remove the battery, or b) if you turn the ignition to position 2 more than a minute and a half after ignition off.

Long Answer:

The mechanical backstop for the stepper motor that drives the speedo needle is a few degrees below the visible zero mark on the display. Before the instrument packs leave the factory, the needles are optically aligned with the zero mark, and the difference in angle between the backstop and the zero mark is written into the memory of the instrument pack. On a reset, the needle is driven backwards into the backstop, and then forwards by the calibrated angle to the zero mark. The needle will shake as long as the motor is driving back against the backstop. Because the calibration varies between cars, the amount of time (and severity) of the shaking will also vary, and some cars audibly rattle.

Short conclusion to the long answer: It's a quirk, but go ahead and complain if you think it's really bad.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Mine does this at the beginning of the weekend if it hasnt been used all week, my dealer told me its the battery, its fine afterwards and if used daily!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mine still does it every single time i turn it on. It's been back a second time they had it over night whilst fitting a new clutch and they said they kept the battery on charge all night and that it should solve the problem..... it hasn't but i just live with it now, doesn't really bother me anymore

1 - 11 of 11 Posts