MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Proud New Owner!
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep. I'm a doofus! It wasn't much, and I'm not what the extent of the damage is (it was dark in the carpark/parking structure this morning), but I spilt just a bit of a latte on my new lapis blue leather passenger seat. I wiped it clean, but from an angle I can see a smudge. is this something that can be cleaned away?

·
Registered
375 Posts
weezgrrl said:
Yep. I'm a doofus! It wasn't much, and I'm not what the extent of the damage is (it was dark in the carpark/parking structure this morning), but I spilt just a bit of a latte on my new lapis blue leather passenger seat. I wiped it clean, but from an angle I can see a smudge. is this something that can be cleaned away?
Didn't you just get that car last night? If so, what in the world are you doing drinking a latte in your brand spanking new car??? It can't have more than a hundred miles on it yet. :D

·
Only Unbalanced
924 Posts
Actually, I hate to pass judgement, but why drink latte in the first place? Why not have a coffee? Cheaper. Probably tastes better and if your great grandmother ever came back to life she would know what you were talking about...

I hope you didn't buy a MINI because it's the car de jour

Respectfully (honestly!)
DUCTTAPE

·
Proud New Owner!
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was drinking a gingerbread latte because they are the BEST! I'm not really a coffee person, actually, but when the seasonal "coffees" come out I am all over it. I will not be drinking the coffee in the MINI again - I have learned my lesson!!

And of course I didn't buy the MINI because it's the car of the moment - I've wanted one of the new MINIs since before they were officially released - and I'm FINALLY capable of affording one. I've been driving an '83 Honda Civic for the last 8 years, and before that an '80 Datsun, and before that a '72 Hornet - I am not one to go for the trendy cars.

But anyways, did anyone have any practical advice? :p

·
Registered
220 Posts
weezgrrl said:
Oh No! Sue Starbucks. ;-)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have no idea why people are so against coffee drinks. =)

Have you tried a simple leather cleaner/moisturiser combo on it? I keep them around because I have rather a lot of handbags, boots, and a jacket that need to be cleaned and moisturized for the season.

And I feel your pain--in my last car, my boyfriend, who was then on crutches, spilled an entire strawberry-flavored ice drink..the car was already 5 years old and I was still completely anal about him eating/drinking in it, and I couldn't really be furious because he hit it with his crutches---augh! It left a tiny stain that only *I* could see on the tan carpet, and I always knew it was there.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm a big fan of Zaino products and their leather stuff works great. Z-9 Spray Cleaner to clean and Z-10 Leather in a Bottle to condition and make the leather smell really nice. I don't think latte should be especially hard to get out. Certainly easier than the red mulch that my wife, for some reason, decided to carry in the back seat of our Saab wagon. Grrr.... .

Mark

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
Drinks in MINIs don't mix. It's practically a blender on four wheels.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Sorry about the stain.

Another reason to get leatherette seats :rolleyes:

If all else fails, go to a professional shoe repair shop, or a horse/riding tack shop, they know how to repair leather problems.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

·
Proud New Owner!
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not that bad

I finally saw the seat today in the sunlight. It's actually not that bad at all. No discoloration or anything, just looks like a slight rub on the upholstery - and can only be seen at a certain angle. Hard to explain. Doesn't look "soaked through" or anything. I might take it into a detailer's or something to see if there's anything I should do, otherwise it's really a small deal. No one else has even noticed/spotted it - so I think the most bothersome thing about it is that I know it's there. I'll probably forget about the occurence in a month or so of happy motoring!!

Thanks for all the advice, I'll look into the Zaino products.

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
Actually, try a Green Machine water vacuum with no detergent, just water, and rub the brush in it a little bit. You'd be surprised how good the vacuum will suck up stuff from inside the leather itself. Did that on my BMW and it took out some stuff.

·
Only Unbalanced
924 Posts
weezgrrl said:
I was drinking a gingerbread latte because they are the BEST! I'm not really a coffee person, actually, but when the seasonal "coffees" come out I am all over it. I will not be drinking the coffee in the MINI again - I have learned my lesson!!

And of course I didn't buy the MINI because it's the car of the moment - I've wanted one of the new MINIs since before they were officially released - and I'm FINALLY capable of affording one. I've been driving an '83 Honda Civic for the last 8 years, and before that an '80 Datsun, and before that a '72 Hornet - I am not one to go for the trendy cars.

But anyways, did anyone have any practical advice? :p
No excuse needed, and I'm sorry for the tone.

My daughter graduated Cornell and pumped coffee in Starbucks for a while. We almost didn't let her back home...

Another plus for coffee though, vs Starbucks McDrinks? When you spill coffee, you KNOW you are going to have a stain that isn't coming out. It's a Tim Allen thing: "Ugh, coffee, yeah!"

Enjoy your MINI. You deserve it, and you deserve to have fun in it too.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hehe...I totally agree. You people who say you love coffee, why are you finding new ways to dilute your coffee? I say the true coffee revolution has yet to begin. Get yourself a good adjustable grinder and an espresso machine (not those Krups toys) and you will know what I'm talking about.

DUCTTAPE said:
Actually, I hate to pass judgement, but why drink latte in the first place? Why not have a coffee? Cheaper. Probably tastes better and if your great grandmother ever came back to life she would know what you were talking about...

I hope you didn't buy a MINI because it's the car de jour

Respectfully (honestly!)
DUCTTAPE

1 - 18 of 18 Posts