MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2005 Cooper S JCW
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suffered a split heater matrix at the tail end of March, and received some excellent advice on here. Car was repaired under warranty on 27th March, but now exactly the same thing has happened (pretty much the first time I've used the heater since the fix!). I don't have the paperwork to hand, and the warranty has now expired. What I need to know is how long is a BMW main dealer repair guaranteed for? The "fix" has lasted less than six months.

Help again appreciated.

·
Where does that road go?
12,574 Posts
I think you should be ok to go back to the dealer about this.

Someone else may correct me on this, but with parts replaced by MINI I think there is usually a two year warranty. This was certainly the case with the parts replaced when my airbag light came on in my old Cooper a couple of years back.

·
Making it add up
847 Posts
The normal rule is that a repair under warranty is only warranted to last until the end of the original warranty.

However, if you pay for a repair, the replacement item is likely to be warranted in its own right for possibly 12 months, but you would need to check with the dealer. Of course you still have your statutory rights in respect of any paid-for repair in addition to any dealer warranty.

·
Where does that road go?
12,574 Posts
Surely that cannot be correct. If you had something replaced under warranty on your last day of warranty, are you saying it wouldn't still be covered a few days later? :confused:

·
Making it add up
847 Posts
Yes, that is my understanding. The reasoning is that the warranty is there to provide you with a serviceable car through the warranty period. If the car is serviceable at the end of the warranty period it has fulfilled its purpose.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If your warranty runs out even repairs that were done a few weeks earlier are not covered. (official line)
If you have work carried out at the dealer outside of the warranty it gets a 2 year BMW parts & labour warranty....

·
2005 Cooper S JCW
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm. Spoke to my dealer, and they say the fix is only guaranteed for the duration of the warranty (which ran out 6 weeks after the repair...). However, as the part has failed again so soon, it is in the hands of BMW themselves as to whether or not they replace the part gratis as "goodwill" as there is no legal guarantee either on the work or the part once the warranty has ended. The garage says they are on "my side" and if the problem is indeed the same as the previous one, it "should" be fixed as a goodwill gesture...

It goes in on Thursday.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I bought a mini cooper July 2006, low milage 16000. from a fiat garage. I discovered a leak and traced it through my windscreen. Auto windscreens came out and put a new one in. To my horror the previous one was not fitted properly large gaps everywhere and the water has now got in all my electics. I am livid. Some one told me to trade it in. I want to go back to the garage. what should I do?

·
2005 Cooper S JCW
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Currently mine is being repaired at the dealer with BMW/Mini covering the cost out of "goodwill".

Thoroughly chuffed with the standard of service - just hope the fix lasts a little longer this time.

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
oh, so the Heater Matrix does break on normal cars then. I had to pay BMW £700 because mine broke. Even though the heater circuit has a 1.5 or 1.0 bar blow off valve.

BMW are Dorks.

Cheers,
K.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts