MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions that I could use some help with……

I have a 54 reg Astro Black cooper that has the Chilli pack – I want to have the aerokit fitted with either the S spoiler or the Aerokit spoiler.

I believe my current spoiler is glued on – how can this be removed? I understand the Aerokit spoiler is glued on also, is this the case with the S spoiler? or does the boot lid need to be drilled? My car is stored for much of the year and I don’t want to go drilling it if I can avoid it but would prefer the S spoiler – so am currently a bit confused. I have found somewhere that is willing to supply the S spoiler so not having an S chassis number is not an issue.

With regard to the Aerokit – does anyone have the part number if the aerokit in astro black? I enquired about this at my dealer back in October and as the colour was new they said they couldn’t get one painted and would have to get it supplied primered and paint it themselves – I’m assuming you can get it painted from the factory now?

If I change to the Aerokit my grille will change from chrome as it is now to black – this is ok but I’ve seen some that have a chrome edge to the grille in the bumper and the bonnet – is this a different part or just an addition?

So basically I’m very confused – I’ve had a search around and can’t seem to find anything definitive

Thanks for your time guys

Neil

·
Registered
74 Posts
Aerokit grille

Recently had aerokit fitted to my 05 Cooper, managed to get the dealership to keep the full chrome grill instead of the black as it looked better on EB/W. Might be worth considering....

·
off out....
19,946 Posts
Esuuv said:
.....I have a 54 reg Astro Black cooper that has the Chilli pack – I want to have the aerokit fitted with either the S spoiler or the Aerokit spoiler.

I believe my current spoiler is glued on – how can this be removed? I understand the Aerokit spoiler is glued on also, is this the case with the S spoiler? or does the boot lid need to be drilled? My car is stored for much of the year and I don’t want to go drilling it if I can avoid it but would prefer the S spoiler – so am currently a bit confused......

Anyone got the answer to this bit? Curious as now thinking of doing the same (swopping spoilers)

Ta!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm looking to change from the standard spoiler too, from what I have discovered so far,
If the original spoiler was fitted at the factory it should be secured by two screws to the bodywork and glued. If the current spoiler was put on at a dealer they may have just glued it on, in which case you can glue on an S spoiler or an Aero spoiler without any drilling.

If you are planning to replace the standard with the S spoiler, I think the original fitting holes left by the standard one would be visible through the gap in the S spoiler. :( anyone know this for sure?
The Aero spoiler on the other hand is solid like the standard spoiler, and just requires gluing. You can tape over the holes left by the original and put the Aero spoiler over them.

See also:
http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74674&highlight=spoiler
http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74123&highlight=spoiler

HTH, :)
Si

·
Registered
402 Posts
The S spoiler requires 2 holes for the bolt at each end. I'm sure I read somewhere that the regular spoiler is now only bolted at each end and not in the middle so you might not have a spare hole to deal with if you go for the S spoiler.

Open you boot and look inside at the top. There are 3 plastic lugs that you can remove. You will then be able to see where the existing spoiler is bolted onto you car. Simply remove these bolts and saw through the sticky pad with some dental floss (mmm minty).

If you need further advice let me know ;)

·
off out....
19,946 Posts
villa mini said:
Anyone got the answer to this bit? Curious as now thinking of doing the same (swopping spoilers)

Ta!
I can answer this now a bit more :) Had the chilli spoiler removed and the S one fitted, seems it's glued on but not in the middle or at least mine wasn't, cost me £45 to have them swopped over and looks cracking :D

not painting or hole filling involved, used the same bolt holes and just re-glued & bolted the new spoiler on :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts