MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
R.I.P MINI2
17,651 Posts
Reduces the assistance given by the power steering and increases throttle response.

Worthwhile? Opinions vary.

·
Peanut Groupie
1,303 Posts
Very definitely worthwhile on Cooper S and I suspect it would be good on a Diesel as the main thing it does is stiffen up the steering so the steering wheel is not as light in your hands, this lets you chuck the car about more confidently and as you can hit a bend at 60 just the same in a diesel as you can in an S I can't see why you wouldn't enjoy the firmer steering wheel just as much. Changes throttle respone too but it is the steering feel you would notice most and I suspect appreciate.

·
Totalled
7,388 Posts
Makes a significant difference to both steering and throttle response. I would say it's more noticable in the throttle than in the steering but that's a matter of opinion.

·
A mini is a way of life.
2,643 Posts
I agree with all of the above. Its the 2nd thing on my spec list. Well worth every penny.:D

·
Registered
274 Posts
The Sport button was going to be one of the few options I was not going to have on my Cooper D as the salesman said it did not make much difference on a Diesel. I ended up getting it because I did not want a blank button. :eek:
The salesman btw was wrong - it does make quite a difference. I notice the difference more in terms of throttle response rather than steering feel. It seems to make the engine respond much quicker and rev better (smoother). So overall I think it is well worth the £90.

·
Dooper Scooper
469 Posts
For 90 quid, it's well worth it!!

Throttle response is definitely more noticeably and the steering a lot more heavier.

Do it, if just so you don't have a blank button... :D

·
Dubman Driver
65 Posts
Do it!

Well worth the €126 I spent, and not only to not have the blank button :D

With SPORT on, the throttle response on my Dubman (Clubman D) is considerably crisper (if you can call diesel crisp) and the steering is much more like my previous R50. Turn it off, and it's a lazier drive all round.

I recommend this option for those reasons, plus the fact that if you don't, you'll constantly thinking "what if....."

·
Registered
651 Posts
Another positive from me.
Have it both my Dooper and S and would recommend to anybody....

·
Huntleycat
12 Posts
So is the Sport button retrofittable? I have Cooper D manual - my dealer says 'No' but I suspect they cant be bothered - I suspect all it needs is a button and a bit of wire from the button to the ECU (and a bit of programming to turn it on) but maybe I am wrong??

·
Registered
274 Posts
So is the Sport button retrofittable? I have Cooper D manual - my dealer says 'No' but I suspect they cant be bothered - I suspect all it needs is a button and a bit of wire from the button to the ECU (and a bit of programming to turn it on) but maybe I am wrong??
I would supect that your dealer maybe right. whilst the fitment of the button might be easy, it may very well be a car coded component which would mean the car would have to be recoded. It certain cases this is not possible as the code assigned to the car is controlled by the factory and cannot be altered.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts