MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Minnesota MINI
2005 MINI Cooper R50
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone driven an '05 MC with the upgraded sport exhaust option? My dealer tells me I'm the only one who has ordered it. Just curious. Thanks

·
Minnesota MINI
2005 MINI Cooper R50
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sport exhaust option

On the MINI.com web site, go to step 5...on the bottom it is the 5th option from the left.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Oh, there it is - I found it on page 5 - which is all dealer installed options. I would agree that you could do better with an aftermarket system and get something even more unique for less $$.

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
Does anyone know the added benefits of the dealer exhaust or even who makes it??? There seems to be no info. around on it.

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
If it's the same sports exhaust as offered by MINI last year, my dealer advised me to spend my money elsewhere! It's mainly a stock exhaust with a different end tip and slightly less baffling in the silencer. It's designed for a different note rather than a performance mod. Probably better off with a Playmini for half the price. ;)

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
Thanks R1! That's exactly what I needed. So basically a JCW exhaust that changes note, not performance, and keeps the factory warranty.

Wish the mods so readily available in Ol' Blighty were as available here in Detroit.

Say.......maybe I should throw on a Mopar exhaust?!!!

Erm..... :(

·
Minnesota MINI
2005 MINI Cooper R50
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dealer Sports Exhaust

Thanks everyone...so far I have no direct feedback of anyone who has actually seen or heard the sports exhaust option. Looks like I will be taking the plunge and be able to share real information the my co-owners. You all may be right-that there are better alternatives-but I'm giving this a go. Motor on.

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
jimmy_racoon said:
Thanks everyone...so far I have no direct feedback of anyone who has actually seen or heard the sports exhaust option. Looks like I will be taking the plunge and be able to share real information the my co-owners. You all may be right-that there are better alternatives-but I'm giving this a go. Motor on.
Let us know how it is and what you think of it! ;) I am still curious!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
If it's the same exhaust as in this country, then it's pretty much as R1 described.

Bigger exhaust tip (and it's actually part of the exhaust, not a trim as the larger Cooper one is) and makes quite a bit more noise (but not to chav / ridiculous / illegal levels).

It gives 1 to 2 bhp more power and is mainly for sound difference.

I have one on my Cooper and I think it's great. It's not in my gallery, BTW - will have to get a fresh picture taken.

·
Registered
9 Posts
steve, any way of posting a sound clip of the exhuast on here? i take it the one you have fitted is what theyre calling a bmw sports silencer exhuast on the mini website, at around £400..? thinking bout getting it fitted, but want to make sure the noise is sweeet....not totally ridiculous!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Not sure I have the means I'm afraid... The only thing I can think ofoff the top of my head is a video file from my phone in 3gp format...

·
Registered
9 Posts
wouldnt know how that would or wouldnt work...!
so is it basically a JCW exhaust..? will maybe call my local dealer tomorrow and see if they have one up there to listen to...i take it you like the sound of the exhaust tho?

·
Big Grin...
322 Posts
It's not the same as the JCW exhaust. The rear silencer of the JCW one is different shape - a picture used to be on JCW web site. I have the BMW one (description is like R1 said). I like the noise - certainly not too loud but deeper than the standard one. Sure it's not cheap though.
Picture in my galley - I'm also trying to sort a short video for aimee_s so you can hear it.
If someone can host I can then mail it to them.

PS. It sounds very well with a K&N induction filter too :)

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Yes, the exhaust sounds good! :) I'm quite anti-chav, so wouldn't go for anything that was non genuine or of mad loudness levels. Needless to say it is quite a lot more bassy than the standard exhaust (which is, it has to be said, very weedy) and I'm happy with mine.

BTW, it pops and burbles when you blip the throttle too. Always raises a smile! :D

·
Big Grin...
322 Posts
Official Sports Silencer Video

I have now created a short video of the exhaust so you can see and hear it :)

I can mail it if you drop me you email address or if someone wants to host it that would be great. It's only 1.2mb (.wmv format).

·
Registered
13 Posts
best ehaust

Just Straight pipe it take off the exhaust take off the catalytic converter buy a pipe and mold it together put the exhaust back on and feel the gain about 15+ horse power better than any exhaust and cost me cheap i have done it and my mini cooper s is loud and fast

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Robmobster said:
Just Straight pipe it take off the exhaust take off the catalytic converter buy a pipe and mold it together put the exhaust back on and feel the gain about 15+ horse power better than any exhaust and cost me cheap i have done it and my mini cooper s is loud and fast
And illegal. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts