MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I'm Back!
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I having trouble trying to get a R56 Cooper with Sports Suspension to try from my local Dealer.
Next Sunday (14th) I have got a standard Suspension Cooper to try for an extended test drive by myself, so I will be putting it through it paces big time :D

Depending on how well it handles round the twistys etc will maybe be the decider on trying to source a sports suspension set up to try out.
Is there a major difference in handling on the R56. My old Cooper was teeth chattering on SS with 17' run flats.

The dealer has suggested taking out an MCS that comes with the SS afterwards.

They also said that the Sports button wouldn't make alot of difference on a Cooper because it isn't as powerful as the MCS so there would be no need to use it as it wouldn't benefit?
Anyone care to shed some light on that theroy?

·
Registered
851 Posts
You need to try them both out, suspension setups are very very subjective...

The sports suspension is essential IMO, but I can see that lots of people will be happy with the standard setup. The standard version has too much body roll for me. The sports is stiffer but not teeth chatteringly so. From what I've read its a lot better than the older generation setup in this respect. I do a 60 mile commute each day in MCS with 17" runflats and its fine. I'll probably replace them for normal tyres but thats for more grip, not comfort.

I can't speak for the Cooper but the sport button makes a difference on the MCS, the throttle is made more sensitive and the steering has less power assistance. The steering difference is again a personal thing though.

Unless you have lots of will power I'd avoid testing the S. :D

·
BMW CC MINI Register
100 Posts
Hi Tracie,

I have the Sport button on my Cooper & can vouch that it does make a noticeable difference.

To me the steering feels a lot better with it on, as it feels too light for my liking with it off.
It doesn't affect the power just the way it is delivered, I find the throttle a lot more responsive especially on motorways & fast driving on the twisty bits.
I usually turn it off in heavy traffic or when parking so I get the advantage of lighter steering.

I've never regretted having fitted & recommend it to all new Cooper buyers. :D

Ian

·
A Total Mini Convert
923 Posts
I have the sports suspension, and it is less spine jarring than the sports suspension on my R53 was

·
pw4
154 Posts
1. I switch on the Sport button every time I get in the car. The throttle response is much sharper - as soon as you move the accelerator the car responds. The power assistance is greatly reduced and the steering is much heavier (at least, with 17" non-run-flats) but it's OK.
2. I have SS on my Cooper. I just felt the standard suspension was a bit soggy and understeery on my test drive, and the SS is certainly sharper. Not much harsher I think. I live near some fast roads with big bumps and wouldn't be without SS for its better body control. But that wouldn't apply to everyone...

·
I'm Back!
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies :)
Hopefully after Sunday I'll be a bit more happier as to what option to go for :)
I aiming to be ordering sometime in October, fingers crossed and all that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts