MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can some one help me i have a mini cooper red chilli with union jack im from manchester and want spots but there are so £$£$£$ pricey so i want to do it myself.
does someone have good close up pics of the brackets or even meet me so i can see my wife will not let me spend nearly £300 on em woman what do they know :(

anyway this would really help me out :))
i know you can buy them from car spares shop for £115 pounds but i dont think them come with brackets :(
so if you can help me i would be very grateful

me email address is

[email protected]

help me

red cooper chilli pack n union jack on top full edge to edge :))))))

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
madcaser said:
can some one help me i have a mini cooper red chilli with union jack im from manchester and want spots but there are so £$£$£$ pricey so i want to do it myself.
does someone have good close up pics of the brackets or even meet me so i can see my wife will not let me spend nearly £300 on em woman what do they know :(

anyway this would really help me out :))
i know you can buy them from car spares shop for £115 pounds but i dont think them come with brackets :(
so if you can help me i would be very grateful

me email address is

[email protected]

help me

red cooper chilli pack n union jack on top full edge to edge :))))))
try sending a pm to Martyn. I thought monsta had these lights but apparently it's martyn. He might be able to help you out with a photo of the brackets.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Thanks for those links to Pandora2000's pictures.

I think the forum search function key should be changed to "askmonsta"

;)

Thanks to smiffy too.....;)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I phoned bmw

they said the mounting brackets for the spot lights come with the lamps you cannot buy them on there own :(
And they also said i could not install my own spot lights because it will mess up the engine management system ??
Is this true and if not which wires do i connect them too ?
big it up from manchester :)

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
Basil said:
I think the forum search function key should be changed to "askmonsta"
What can I say? I'm the man!! :D

We need someone with these spotlights to tell use where they connect up, they can only have two wires on each one surely?

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
monsta said:

What can I say? I'm the man!! :D

We need someone with these spotlights to tell use where they connect up, they can only have two wires on each one surely?
I think BMW may have a point. My dealer just spent 15mins explaining to me that for example: the window toggle switches no longer have an open and closed circuit. It's a multi-highway now of digital signals along the same cable. There is no way I would be connecting anything to this car without BMW doing the hard wiring.

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
Yeah but the MINI is supposed to be wired so that adding optional accessories is easy, I can't see the spotlights having more than two wires on each (+ & -) and in theory the wiring is already there..

Can someone with the spotlights please look?

·
Registered
76 Posts
re: the pics of MINI spotlights

Thanks for the pictures of the spotlights, they'll help me to decide yea or nay on them. But, is it just me or did I already see signs of bodycancer around the screws?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Basil said:

It's a multi-highway now of digital signals along the same cable. There is no way I would be connecting anything to this car without BMW doing the hard wiring.
I have heard that called CAN-bus by some car company or other. Could be totally off-base but I have heard it described somewhat like an Ethernet network. You have to plug into it in some way and figure out how stuff is addressed on a hardware layer (MAC addresses I suppose). I am sure it is all integrated into the ECU along with everything else - so perhaps the chip tuners will help figure this stuff out...

Jason

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi
i have a 2002 mini cooper and was just wondering if i order a set of spotlights would i have 2 drill any holes in the bodywork if im putting them through the grill? or do they just clamp 2 the grill itself?
thanks

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ive just had the official spotlights installed on my JCW.

Alex1988- You do need to cut small holes in the actual grill, but not the bodywork. The grill is cheap to replace if you decide to take the spots off.

Regarding the wiring. Anyone can install the spots but BMW have to encode the computer system so that they operate with the full beam switch. It cost me £33 for the encoding.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts