MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get some spot lights for the front of my cooper. But i am confused on which ones to get. I dont know if i want 2 or 4. I have heard the that 4 realling drains the battery. I was also wondering how hard it would be to make the lights turn on by switch like where the windows are at?

·
Cruising In The Minge
773 Posts
I have 4 on my MINI, no probs with battery performance. I went for OEM just to keep it all factory (JCW etc) Personal choice at the end of the day but spotties in my opinion are a must have.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you used 4 of the factory lights, so two light kits? Did you do it your self, is it hard work?

·
Cruising In The Minge
773 Posts
No didnt do it myself, Im a complete leper when it comes to mechanical/electrical stuff so got it done at the dealers. Yes 2 light kits, no special brackets just need to reverse the middle 2 brackets and it works like a charm. :)

·
Another Happy Owner
204 Posts
CNred said:
I want to get some spot lights for the front of my cooper. But i am confused on which ones to get. I dont know if i want 2 or 4. I have heard the that 4 realling drains the battery. I was also wondering how hard it would be to make the lights turn on by switch like where the windows are at?
i dont think having 4 lights would really drain the battery. what were you planning on doing with them anyway? While you're driving having the lights on shouldn't do anything to your battery... unless of course you have some monster 10,000 watt stereo system in your car draining the hell out of the battery.

Theres another thread where i posted some info, but to repeat...
The dealer installed lights are connected to your high beams. so if you dont have your high beams on, the spot lights dont turn on. Also when you have your high beams on, the fogs lights turn off. its kinda lame.

They installed a switch to turn on the spot light. it goes (if you're in a Left Handed Driving Car) on the knee bolster by your steering column closer to the door. if you look now, you should see a small rectangular plastic piece that pops off. thats where the switch goes.

I popped off the bolster to see how its connected and its a single push button switch and has 4 wires coming out of the plug. It seems a bit complicated the way the have it set up. But yes, im pretty sure if you do some simple re-wiring you can have it connected to the center cosole switches, assuming you have an extra spot for it.

Im a bit scared to take apart my car still since i only have 1500 miles on it and still trying to figure out what else i need to get fixed. (Brought it to the dealers once already :( )

but in theory, it should be relatively easy to rig up the wires. its just some time consuming effort thats required.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.