MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
PowerSteeringPumpActivist
8,410 Posts
I'm curious... would that still give the pedal a progressive feel for feeding on the power? Or would it change the throttle response to being more of a binary on-off affair? :confused:

All the best,
Andrew.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question - In years gone by the throttle /carb was made progressive by use of the linkages on the carb which the cable was connected to -the MINI is controlled by electronics and the signal computed by the ECM as a rate signal(speed of change)and a displacement signal(how far to move) the unit alters the rate signal to open faster but the displacement signal is unaltered
There is still a progressive throttle ,an increase in rate with pedal movement ,but as the rate is from a higher minimum level there would be less of a progressive feel ,the purpose is for quick throttle response .after all its not a big lazy v8

·
8,410 Posts
Ah, ok. So, to express that a different way (and thus test my understanding of what's going on :p)... the sensors in the throttle pedal sense the position of the pedal electronically, making a certain number of readings per second and thus tell the throttle body how far to open, etc.

Therefore, this is essentially a sensor replacement that makes that measurement more frequently (and more times a second), thus ensuring a throttle response that is:
  • more instant
  • smoother
  • more delicate (i.e. to small taps)?
Assuming all that is correct, what's the sampling rate for the existing sensor, and what's the sampling rate for the new sensor?

All the best,
Andrew.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are close-the pedal position is not in readings per second it is a static position ie a voltage if you press it down it assumes a new position ie new voltage -this leaves an error signal between old and new position
This error signal is calculated by the computer -the larger the error(ie you have floored it-) the ECU applies a displacement signal -max ,but it also looks at the rate of change of the throttle position and applies corrections together with the rate of change in pedal position

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when error signals are small it could lead to a stand off position as the rate is slow and the displacement small- I think the ECU uses an integrator circuit remove this (anyone remenber integration and differentiation?)
the car manufacturers do not give out such info ,so there is an element of guestimation.
likewise the makers of the booster are reluctant to divulge details as imitation is not a sincere form of flattery -not with ebay about

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sprint Booster

Hi guys,

(New member so bare with me.....)

Just bought a Sprint Booster and fitted it to my '03 Cooper 'S'............ AMAZING!

Totally transformed the way it drives. Feels like there is about 20% more torque available at low to medium revs. I know it doesn't actually add any more power to the engine but it just feels sooooo much more responsive to any throttle input.

:)

·
8,410 Posts
I just had a thought... is this like a remap that becomes specific to the car once installed? :confused: Or if bought and fitted to a ONE/COOPER, could it later be removed and installed without fuss into a CooperS? :D

Also, for those who have driven with it, do you find yourself having to concentrate very hard on holding you accelerator foot really steady for when you're trying to drive calmly and smoothly (i.e. with a lady in the car)? Or is the Throttle Remap actually an advantage in that scenario as well?

Many thanks,
Andrew.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No its not chassis specific ,and can be moved car to car or sold on ebay once you have sold the car.
There have been reports of improvement on hill starts and other situations that demand control of the throttle,but better if users report on that
A

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have just had the Sprint Booster fitted. It has made the cars performance so much smoother. The throttle response is so much smoother and quicker. The throttle is so smooth, that maintaining constant speeds is so much easier. e.g. with female passengers or keeping on the speed limit.

(I don't know whether this is an unknown bonus or not, but the cruise control appears to be more efficient. It may just be my imagination!)

Keith :cool:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have this installed for about 26000 km.
I can tell you that it is fantastic..
It does not add any hp or whatever, but the throttle response is totally from a different planet.
The first day I had it, I had to readjust my foot to the clutch, because the car was jumping like a frog.
Now, we have three in the family, for our cars.
No CELs, no problems, no nothing.
I fully recommend it.

(I have a mini cooper S R56)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sprint booster ecu lights

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone could enlighten me . I have fitted a sprint booster to a 2006 jcw mini cooper s and as soon as i fitted it the car would not tick over and when the accelerator was depressed the car would not run over 2000 revs i disconnected it and it left the ecu light on the dash.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just to add. I fitted the SB to my R56 Works around 10k miles agao and no issues whatsoever. However i can confirm that i had issues with CEL's when fitting. The answer was to leave the car switched off for at least 20 mins. before fitting the SB. I discussed this issue with the supplier and this issue was known about but not noted in the fitting instructions.

any help?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts