MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

(New member so bare with me.....)

Just bought a Sprint Booster and fitted it to my '03 Cooper 'S'............ AMAZING!

Totally transformed the way it drives. Feels like there is about 20% more torque available at low to medium revs. I know it doesn't actually add any more power to the engine but it just feels sooooo much more responsive to any throttle input.

:)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Am I being thick?? What on Earth is this mod?
It's an electrical adaptor that fits behind the throttle pedal. As the throttle imput is electronic and not a mechanical linkage, then this Sprint Booster alters the inputs to throttle position compared to stock.

A bit like the sport button on the R56 does.

·
Trailer Trash
202 Posts
Links are provided in post #3; everything in the marketing literature is accurate from my standpoint.

My experience may be different because throttle maps and other torque management features have previously been altered in my MINI via DimSport enabled tuning (John Behe/LDG). I felt throttle response after the LDG tune was as close to having a cable attached to the throttle plate as one could get; now with the Sprint Booster added, it’s telepathic.

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
The more feedback and accurate description the better, Forums are notoriously sceptical of anything! if I say it does X/Y/Z/ then it is looked upon a marketing B---S---T .
The more reports from owners the better : good ,bad or indifferent
A

·
PowerSteeringPumpActivist
8,410 Posts
So, for those of you who have this fitted... it feels like the engine responds more quickly to a change in throttle position? :confused:

Rather than just narrow the throttle pedal position window (i.e. maximum throttle achieved at an earlier pedal position)? :confused:

I'm still having a hard time trying to imagine what exactly it would feel like to drive. References to "close to having a cable attached" don't really help me, I'm afraid - as I don't have much experience driving a car that wasn't drive-by-wire (as they put it)*.

* With the exception of an 11 year old Skoda Favorit, but I wasn't an experienced enough driver at the time to discern any real difference.

It says it errs more on the side of "fun" than smoothness and fuel economy. So would this be detrimental to fuel economy? The literature sounds great, but not very detailed in exactly how the car might feel to drive - the exact distinction between stock and the modification. I'm still interested in the product, but I'm still quite baffled as to how this actually changes the car and benefits the driving experience. :eek:

I'm also driving a ONE, so would this be more inclined to benefit a MCS (have heard some weird throttle stories about them) rather than a ONE or COOPER (which to my knowledge have been fine)?

Many thanks,
Andrew.

·
Go Go Gadget Mini
900 Posts
So, for those of you who have this fitted... it feels like the engine responds more quickly to a change in throttle position? :confused:

Rather than just narrow the throttle pedal position window (i.e. maximum throttle achieved at an earlier pedal position)? :confused:

I'm still having a hard time trying to imagine what exactly it would feel like to drive. References to "close to having a cable attached" don't really help me, I'm afraid - as I don't have much experience driving a car that wasn't drive-by-wire (as they put it)*.

* With the exception of an 11 year old Skoda Favorit, but I wasn't an experienced enough driver at the time to discern any real difference.

It says it errs more on the side of "fun" than smoothness and fuel economy. So would this be detrimental to fuel economy? The literature sounds great, but not very detailed in exactly how the car might feel to drive - the exact distinction between stock and the modification. I'm still interested in the product, but I'm still quite baffled as to how this actually changes the car and benefits the driving experience. :eek:

I'm also driving a ONE, so would this be more inclined to benefit a MCS (have heard some weird throttle stories about them) rather than a ONE or COOPER (which to my knowledge have been fine)?

Many thanks,
Andrew.
As Andrew says, i would also like the same info as, i too, am very interested.

I have a cooper and would like to know if it would affect the car in the lower range? Also i would imagine this would cause an increase in the amount of fuel the car uses if the above statement is correct?

Thanks

Mess

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
If you press the pedal and the throttle moves to half way open this takes a certain time lets say 0.3 seconds .
With the booster fitted ;;the pedal pressed the same distance,the throttle still opens to half way open BUT it takes say 0.1 seconds . this gives better throttle response ,faster ,snappier,call it what you will.
As the throttle still opens to the half open position fuel cosumption is only affected during the time the throttle is opening and it is marginal.
The purpose of the booster is to give faster throttle reponse ,more in character with the car.
This may not be ideal for driving miss daisy ,I suppose the reverse could also be done so that it took forever to open the throttle to the commanded position ,but it would not be much fun to drive!
Imagine it took 3 seconds to open the throttle from the time you pressed the pedal ,now reverse that thought -thats what it does --respond faster
A

·
PowerSteeringPumpActivist
8,410 Posts
If you press the pedal and the throttle moves to half way open this takes a certain time lets say 0.3 seconds .
With the booster fitted ;;the pedal pressed the same distance,the throttle still opens to half way open BUT it takes say 0.1 seconds . this gives better throttle response ,faster ,snappier,call it what you will.
As the throttle still opens to the half open position fuel cosumption is only affected during the time the throttle is opening and it is marginal.
The purpose of the booster is to give faster throttle reponse ,more in character with the car.
This may not be ideal for driving miss daisy ,I suppose the reverse could also be done so that it took forever to open the throttle to the commanded position ,but it would not be much fun to drive!
Imagine it took 3 seconds to open the throttle from the time you pressed the pedal ,now reverse that thought -thats what it does --respond faster
A
:D Sounds great... now I just need to talk to the other half and convince her that it's absolutely essential for my long-term happiness and therefore must be permitted to place an order. :eek: :p

Oh dear... when did I lose my manliness? :frown:

All the best,
Andrew.

·
Trailer Trash
202 Posts
I feel slow speeds, such as backing up or parking lot maneuvers, are easier, because instead of raising revs (or waiting for revs to rise) and slipping the clutch afterwards, clutch release can be initiated a split second before actuating the accelerator pedal. The same holds true for starts on an incline and there are fewer tendencies to bog. There may be a 10 minute learning curve when first installed to avoid chirping the tires or ASC intrusions but even that’s fun to experience, however it’s nothing like learning to drive a stick for the first time. I notice the BPV on my MCS operating more abruptly but I guess it’s because the motor is quicker to enter and fall out of boost; 1st to 2nd gear can be a little jerky some time, but I’m working on that. It takes time to let go of lazy shift habits before gear changes smooth out.

These improvements are not solely beneficial at normal street speeds, the sensation of acceleration when you can go WOT through the gears is exhilarating; tight, demanding sections of road reveal throttle preciseness that is greatly appreciated. In my opinion there is greater control, not less control, when rev matching is needed.

·
Trailer Trash
202 Posts
Here’s a how-to for R50 – 53 left hand drive SPRINT BOOSTER THROTTLE REMAP MODULE INSTALL R50/52/53 , and R56 left hand drive SPRINT BOOSTER THROTTLE REMAP MODULE INSTALL R56, R55 . For R50-53, the side tab may need to be depressed a second time when the accelerator module is moved to the left in order to clear the right side, and be sure to align the connector of the Sprint Booster correctly with the connector from the vehicle; look carefully at the shape of the receiving end, not the pin arrangement. The connector to the accelerator module will only fit one way but the other end can be forced incorrectly.

1 - 20 of 198 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.