MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont get me wrong, love the new car to bits :D

But, just recently its driving me slightly crazy on startup.

I didnt think it was doing it at any specific point, but thinking about it, its possible its doing it most when its warm, stopped, and then restarted (like when ive been home for lunch, or when i go in then back out to move the car). There is a really high pitched squealing noise from under the bonnet, but like behind the drivers front wheel.

Its got to the point today that I had to stop the car, get out and lift the bonnet to try and figure where it was coming from :puzzled: as it doesnt seem to stop straight away. It did it again when I got home, went to open the gates, got back in the car and started it again. I moved the car up and down the drive and it still did it, sat and revved it for a bit and it went :puzzled:

Looking under the bonnet with engine running and not, there looks to be some sort of belt that goes round down the side of the engine, could it be that?

Also, the car clunks on braking sometimes, again its not something that seems to happen all the time but when it does it makes you think "what on earth was that" :puzzled: It will do it in reverse or forward gear, and sounds like its coming from the rear. Theres nothing in the boot except a blanket and some cleaning cloths and the tools are in tight polystyrene under the floor. I cant decide if its the suspension, brakes, or exhaust :puzzled: And when I let dad drive the car, I heard it then as well, so its not just my driving!

Anyone have any ideas? Anyones cars do the same?

Just curious :) :red:

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The high pitched noise is now on the verge of being ridiculous, so looks like im going to have to pay a visit to a Service Dept. tomorrow morning and let them have a listen :hmph:

I had a little play with it today, it only makes the noise on idle and as soon as you touch the accelerator the noise goes, lift off it and it comes back again.

No-one else found this then? :p

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Alternator belt Jo - yours might be a tad loose/shiny, that will be the cause of the squealing. You can get it changed under warranty :)

If you haven't had it done before I see you next though, I'll bring some belt dressing along and give it a spray for you - as that can cure it without the need for getting it changed ;)

Belt dressing available in any Halfords ;) Tygris Belt Dressing Spray - Maintenance Sprays - Online Bearings

Not sure on the brakes though, would have to feel/hear it ;)

·
MCS AB Owner! =D
325 Posts
OH dear! Sounds like your water pump has gone already. It's the exact same thing I had. Sometimes it was there, sometimes it wasn't. Just on idle, it squealed like there was a mouse being churned up in there. It was a pain in the arse getting the garage to hear it (as it wasnt always there). Once we got it to make a noise, they straight away recognised it was the water pump. I couldn't trace it myself as with your problem, the noise came from somewhere underneath and within the heart of the bonnet.

I had it done last week at only 3 months old and 2000 miles. The noise has now gone and the engine is purring nicely now :D.

I'd get it taken in to have a look and I bet 99% sure it's the water pump. It's nothing disastrous, but there must be some dodgy batches of water pumps going about.

The break problem? I'm not sure on that at all.

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jon - the alternator belt is what I suspected at first....my first MINI used to do it and when it went in they tightened it and the noise stopped. However that only did it on cold start on the mornings, whereas this car is doing it anytime, if not moreso when its warm :puzzled: also the fact the noise goes on revving in (though it comes back when lifted off) and on the old car it did it the whole time till the car had warmed up!

Tunster - :eek: Im hoping its not that, the car is only 6 weeks old with 1000 miles on it :hmph: I wouldnt even know what side the water pump is on anyway :eek:

Got in the car tonight to come home, car had been left for 4 hours in the carpark.....no noise.....got home, went in, came back out to move the car therefore re-starting it and bingo....squeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaal!!

·
MINI MAD in IRELAND
572 Posts
That's what warranty is for ref Water pump.
If it is, what about it once they replace it and it's fine :)
All the best with it,
Ferg.

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Think I will go to the dealer with it tomorrow, so that they can hear it at least, see what they think (knowing my luck it wont do it!)

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, what is it with my cars and intermitant 'issues' :hmph:

Go to get petrol, pull in and the squeal starts, cue the man in front staring coz of the noise :hmph: Fill up, restart car, squeal again! Get down to the garage, squeal disappeared and refused to come back after restarting the car :hmph:

The service guy did take it in the workshop and I went and showed them where the noise 'should' be coming from....however as its now not there they cant do anything, but yes there are a number of parts down that side of the engine that it 'could' be :hmph: He told me to either book the car in - which at the moment im reluctant to do until they have heard it, or to go back when its making the noise, which as proved this morning, cant always be done!! :hmph:

I parked up outside the garage for about half an hour letting the car sit for a bit then re-starting it, it did make the noise, but by the time id have got in to get anyone it would have stopped, though I managed to hear it long enough to get a recording (albeit with the bonnet shut).

Ive now come back home in the hopes I can get a better recording of it, however im not quite sure where to go next in terms of getting them to hear it :puzzled:

Bloomin' cars :p

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Managed to record the noise it makes, very difficult to do as the cooling fan kept then kicking in :hmph: But gives an idea of what it sounds like though....

·
Registered
190 Posts
:sounds like the alternator belt,but the garage will need to remove the belt and run it without, to make sure alternator,water pump,air con compressor,tensioner pulleys etc. are all ok.

ps,thought you'd got rid of the diesel;):D

·
I get my kicks in an R56
481 Posts
Jo, i've got the squeak too on Blackbird. Coopers couldn't fault it at all, but it is intermittant like you describe so its almost impossible to get it to do it on demand, although having done nearly 7000 miles now the frequency is decreasing

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ive decided to get it booked in to get checked out. It maybe nothing, but it maybe something, and with my luck of R56's of late i'd rather be safe than sorry. Ive got a few 'long distance' journies coming up over the next few weekends and i'd rather not come home on a tow truck :hmph:

Bring on courtesy car number 6 this year!! :hmph:

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I shall find out tomorrow (hopefully) whats going on with it. Knowing my luck, it wont make the noise whilst its there :hmph: But we'll give it a go!!

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, got her back....

...got to go back in next tuesday to have *drum roll* .... a new water pump fitted :rolleyes: (well done Tunster - I was told its a known thing!)

Considering the noise started at about 850 miles, thats pretty poor :(

Still I get to have courtesy car number 7 this year :hmph: I dont have one for 3 months, then I have 2 in 2 weeks again! :p

1 - 20 of 29 Posts