MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Joshua Peet
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've had my r56 Cooper since march (first car). I noticed when I pulled onto my drive the other day that there was a squealing/squeaking noise when I was idling which stopped as soon as I switched the engine off..

I had a look under the bonnet but I have no idea what I'm doing.... I noticed the noise is coming from that metal box on the front of the engine - which coincidentally has a dent made from the inside out and has slightly broken open!

Anybody know what it might be and is it safe to drive?

I've added a youtube link of it - hope that's allowed? youtube.com/watch?v=MqruUl-Cs5Y

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,320 Posts
Hi All,

I've had my r56 Cooper since march (first car). I noticed when I pulled onto my drive the other day that there was a squealing/squeaking noise when I was idling which stopped as soon as I switched the engine off..

I had a look under the bonnet but I have no idea what I'm doing.... I noticed the noise is coming from that metal box on the front of the engine - which coincidentally has a dent made from the inside out and has slightly broken open!

Anybody know what it might be and is it safe to drive?

I've added a youtube link of it - hope that's allowed? youtube.com/watch?v=MqruUl-Cs5Y

Thanks in advance!
could be a number of things, timing chain top guide or tensioner, or water pump jockey wheel or alternator

1 - 4 of 4 Posts