MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals! :D

We've seen some topics where people have tried out the new MINI JCW and told what they thought about it. Many times saying it's a far better car when compaired to the standard S! But as a MINI Cooper S JCW (stage 1) owner, I'm on my toes to see any comments on it when compaired to the stage 1!!! Don't really know what I want to hear on this but still! Can't wait to hear from you.

Cheers

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hello! I have a stage 1 mcs works and have driven, and want, the new factory model. Its awesome!
I thought Swiper was fast but this is a rocket! I cant praise it highly enough, slicker gear change, faster acceleration, brakes amazing, exhaust noise deep, handling easy, cornering easy, hardly any turbo lag (maybe just a tiny one!)
Once driven you will want one for sure, get the wallet dusted!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Hello! I have a stage 1 mcs works and have driven, and want, the new factory model. Its awesome!
No you don't, you drive an R53 don't you?

It should be noted a lot of R53 owners comments can be applied to all the R56 models of the S, eg more torque, better drivability and overtaking ability etc.

I also own an R56 with the JCW tuning kit (stage 1) but haven't seen the point in testing the factory model as I'm just not gonna change to it yet, if ever. The tuning kitted S is only around 16bhp and 10lbft down on the factory car. Something you should be able to make up easily with a highflow cat and some breathing mods should you feel the need.

If I was speccing a new Mini for the first time I'd probably go for it to be honest, but already owning an R56 I just cannot stomach the cost to change which has to work out near £10k.

·
DS/B Cooper Works
179 Posts
Hi guys and gals! :D

We've seen some topics where people have tried out the new MINI JCW and told what they thought about it. Many times saying it's a far better car when compaired to the standard S! But as a MINI Cooper S JCW (stage 1) owner, I'm on my toes to see any comments on it when compaired to the stage 1!!! Don't really know what I want to hear on this but still! Can't wait to hear from you.

Cheers
You can see some of my comments here

I had an October build R56 S with the JCW Stage 1 and feel the new one is for me a very different car to drive. The electronic LSD is not as harsh as the mechanical one I had spec'ed in the other one and all round I am more confident in the new Cooper Works. :biggrin:

·
Registered
566 Posts
I thought that at first, but it is an entirely different animal from the s with works kit.
Have driven both and the differences are very apparent.
1) Faster
2) Better Brakes
3) No or virtually no turbo lag
4) Better gear box
5) Better exhaust

Those are the immediate things you notice but there have been more changes under the bonnet based on the challenge race car which you can read about in Auto Expess and Modern Mini, which heaps six pages of praise on it compared to the older 53 and 56 models.

I was going to change up to a six month old works but having driven it there is no going back and I am going to have to find £13000 to change, but I still want to, badly.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had an October build R56 S with the JCW Stage 1 and feel the new one is for me a very different car to drive. The electronic LSD is not as harsh as the mechanical one I had spec'ed in the other one and all round I am more confident in the new Cooper Works. :biggrin:
Droopy how was have your Cooper S JCW specced when it comes to brakes and suspension?
I have the sport suspension on mine, the front brakes upgraded with the 1 pot JCW brakes, the JCW drilled rotors and the LSD... I'm wondering how much does the electronic LCD demand from the new brakes and to what extent did BMW make the new brakes just to cope with the electronic LSD!

Lots of questions flying in my head and somewhat trying to justify not buying the new car. I really love my highly specced car but still feeling a bit unconfortable knowing there's something out there that might be better than mine... :rolleyes: Childish I know but can't help it.

Oh well... Lets here from you!!!

Cheers

·
Waiting for Works Clubman
338 Posts
We just don't know what demands the electronic LSD places on the brakes - but I doubt that it was the reason for their being included. Rather, I suspect that their inclusion is down to the fact that the Works is heavily based on teh Challenge car - and race cars need good brakes.

In many ways, good stopping power can be more important than good acceleration. I've heard of people claiming to have "accelerated out of trouble", but that's usually just testosterone talking. But braking to avoid trouble? We all need to do that from time to time. Better brakes for the win!

·
Matt Boocock
49 Posts
Some interesting comments here guys...got a R56 Standard S and am thinking about JCW upgrade kit, but how much approx is the kit fitted?? Is it worth paying the extra or should i swap the car for a new WORKS baby!!???

·
Registered
847 Posts
Just to keep thing's in perspective here, we are talking about a 0.3 of a second difference in the 0 to 60mph time and a 3mph difference in top speed comparing the R56 JCW Stage 1 and Stage 2.

And if you were really bothered about such an insignificant difference in performance, then you can easily make up the 16bhp difference by installing the new works hard plastic turbo inlet pipe and a hi flow cat. This is where the factory car gets most of it's extra 16bhp from.....alledgedly.

But I would love a set of the new brakes though!

P.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Some interesting comments here guys...got a R56 Standard S and am thinking about JCW upgrade kit, but how much approx is the kit fitted?? Is it worth paying the extra or should i swap the car for a new WORKS baby!!???
Kit is just over £1k fitted (or used to be, guess it's still the case) a few dealers had done special offers but dealers will price match if you push them.

For me the cost to change to a similar spec factory JCW would be almost £10k.

£1k or £10k, which would you rather pay??? :D

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Kit is just over £1k fitted (or used to be, guess it's still the case) a few dealers had done special offers but dealers will price match if you push them.

You make a good point! But the new JCW was such a 'special' drive :D

Ive said I want to change to a new JCW in the (near? :p) future, but I think I would like to drive a Stage 1 kitted S first, probably sooner rather than later...to know that im waiting for the right decision! :D

·
Registered
847 Posts
You make a good point! But the new JCW was such a 'special' drive :D

Ive said I want to change to a new JCW in the (near? :p) future, but I think I would like to drive a Stage 1 kitted S first, probably sooner rather than later...to know that im waiting for the right decision! :D
You are more than welcome to go for a "proper" test drive in my S, just let me know when?

P.

·
Registered
847 Posts
But I do have to say that if I hadn't spent £24,547 less than a year ago on my R56 Cooper S JCW Stage 1, then I would definately be buying the new Factory JCW car!

P.

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
You are more than welcome to go for a "proper" test drive in my S, just let me know when?

P.
I'd blatently get stopped by the police and get found out for not being insured if I did that :p

You can take me out for a spin in it at the next pub meet though ;) Need to hear that exhaust too :eek:

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can take me out for a spin in it at the next pub meet though ;) Need to hear that exhaust too :eek:
My pleasure, but don't eat too much on the day as I don't want you weighing my car down! :biggrin:
:D Come on guys, be nice to each other!!!

Back to the topic: I've had the chance to go for a short spin on the new JCW and I'm starting to agree with some of the things that have been said here! The first time I touched the brakes, I felt
the there was a diferent feel to them... The exhaust also hit me as diferent, nice and deeper than mine! As for the improved power and torque, I agree with what was said on the MotoringFile reveiw, you can't really feel any improvement!!! Handling wise: as I've said before, I have the sport suspension on my car and I woudn't want the ride to be any harder regardless of any handling gains resulting from it!

After all this, I now feel very confortable with the idiea of keeping my present MINI Cooper S JCW for a very long time! :D
Having said that, their is still a small detail I'd like to see changed in the near future: the back brakes are not nice and red like the ones on the front! I've tried having them painted with high temp resistant paint but didn't like the result.

And if you were really bothered about such an insignificant difference in performance, then you can easily make up the 16bhp difference by installing the new works hard plastic turbo inlet pipe and a hi flow cat. This is where the factory car gets most of it's extra 16bhp from.....alledgedly.
P.
Paul, can you tell us a bit more about the "new works hard plastic turbo inlet pipe"... Do you have a part number?

Thank for all the replies guys! Keep them comming!
Cheers

·
Registered
847 Posts
Here you go....

M13. 71. 7. 582. 453

Got it from Chris at Derek Woodman in Blackpool, paid £60 for it delivered to the door.

The pipe looks as though it would do nothing to improve the breathing of the engine, but it does! Maybe the original rubber one on the R56 Cooper S partially collapses when you floor it? I used to notice that I would sometimes loose boost for no reason at about 5000rpm, fitting this pipe has cured this and the engine revs pick up a lot quicker.

And why does the 208 bhp engine have this hard plastic pipe instead of the soft rubber pipe as fitted to the 192 bhp engine? I wonder why......? :puzzled:

P.

·
Matt Boocock
49 Posts

Just been down to local dealer SOPERS in Lincoln. Quoted £1500 for stage 1 all in. JCW demo wasnt in til sunday so might go back for a spin, but as you say, £1500 is a hell of a lot cheaper than prob the 8-10k to swap!!!

2 month wait on factotry JCW but only a 7 day wait to get my "chilli" in for stage 1!!!.....decisions..decisions....

·
IJ 2009 - Team 81
3,223 Posts
Just been down to local dealer SOPERS in Lincoln. Quoted £1500 for stage 1 all in. JCW demo wasnt in til sunday so might go back for a spin, but as you say, £1500 is a hell of a lot cheaper than prob the 8-10k to swap!!!

2 month wait on factotry JCW but only a 7 day wait to get my "chilli" in for stage 1!!!.....decisions..decisions....
Not driven the stage 2 yet, but the stage 1 is great. As Paul has said above the 0-60 and top speed differences are negligable. If there is a big difference then it will be in how the stage 2 handles. So have a test drive see what you think, make your decision based on that. I would go stage 1 myself until it's financially viable to change.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts