MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having had my DS R56 S for nearly a year I am stuck with what to do! Do I replace my lovely (and highly spec'd) S with a Mini JCW or do I put a stage one kit on and wait a little longer :confused:.

I would seriosuly consider changing my current S (not that it has any problems) if I had not spec'd it so highly (JCW body kit, JCW R109's, Sat Nav, Chilli etc etc...). My concern is to get a car with a similar spec to the one I all ready have I would probably need to spend the best part of £30k... Some would say redicuolous for a Mini, but I love them! :D

Any thoughts or suggestions people?

·
Factory JCW
658 Posts
Keep it, and modify it if you want extra power, then youll still have all your toys, and in the end be faster than the factory works anyway ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the commets guys!

Has anyone had the Stage One fitted? Does it make a substantial difference to the over all performance of the car? I am thinking spend the £1300 and wait another 12 months to see what Mini have instore for us!

More comments welcome :p

·
StevieB
107 Posts
I have had the Stage 1 fitted and am very happy with the result, used to engage the Sports mode with the standard 'S' but with the JCW Stage 1 fitted there is no need! It feels more 'complete' and so much fun - and for me I have noticed a sligh increase in the MPG that I am getting, around 35mpg around town with a bit of motorway driving (though I have'nt reached top speed, but 121mph was achieved). Great fun and well worth the £1,100ish I paid...

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
JCW Stage 1 Engine conversion

I have a June 07 build MCS that suffers with the engine 'noise' when cold .....only happens if parked for a few hours on our sloping drive leading to the garage, and a restart solves the problem.

It has been said that BMW have found the cause is a software problem with the engine management system. As the JCW upgrade also includes a software upgrade has anybody had the 'noise' problem ?

·
Registered
113 Posts
had the stage one and also suffered from the engine noise. Since the upgrade it has been fine and no rattles whatsoever - so looks like its cured (for now) :)

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I'd recommend the JCW brake kit when it comes out, the new stoppers are really very good.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Depends on how rich you are

If you trade it in now for the new JCW you will take a massive hit on the trade in on your current R56 Cooper S and for sure you will also suffer serious depreciation on the new car when time to change that one.

So a double hit in depreciation. (I have been and done that and am not rich enough)

I bought a works two years ago and the trade in price offered quite eye watering and dont believe anyone when they saly the mini is a real value keeper. The difference paid for the JCW kit and extras all drop away in value very quickly.

Then again the smile on your face factor delivered by the extra power is hard to put a value to !

My advise would be to wait 18 months until the hype of all the new car has gone and used cars start to come on the market with significant savings

Your cost to change will be far less eye watering and its not as if your current car is a bad one

Then again if you have pots of cash then just change it and enjoy the extra power abd fact that you are one of the first :>)

regards

Antony

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Anthony,

Thanks for the comments!

When I started to seriously look at replacing my R56 S I thought that the trade in price would be really nasty. However, much to my suprise, I was offered quite a resnoable price for it, not amazing, but reasonable none the less... I was expecting far far worse.

It certainly has not put me off changing my current car. If on the other hand the trade in would have been bad I would certainly have been waiting for another 18 months as you said!

I am just waiting to see what the final cost is for the sort of spec I am after :puzzled:

Ben.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Do you mind me asking what percentage of its original value your car retained?

For just over a grand the JCW tuning kit is great value IMO if warranty is a concern and its surely cheaper than swapping vehicles. The tuning kit plus aftermarket downpipe would get you pretty close to the factory car in terms of power...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Without getting a calculator out I would guestimate about 80-85%.

Due to the spec of the JCW (if I was to buy the car) it is in the dealers interest to 'look after me' when it comes to the financial side of the deal. If I were looking at a cheaper spec I know my current R56 S would not be worth as much.

I do agree with you about the Stage One kit, it really is a worthy investment. However, it is not quite the JCW. I have driven an R56 S with the stage one kit and honestly don't think it is quite as special as the JCW.

I love the shorter shift the on the gears on the JCW, the stoppers are superb and that noise is addictive.

All in all I could use the money from the Stage One kit to put my deposit down on the JCW and be just as financially happy/stable :)

Ben

·
Registered
851 Posts
Without getting a calculator out I would guestimate about 80-85%.
Not bad I guess, but still quite a price to change... For me I think it would cost near £6k to trade my JCW kitted R56 S for the factory model. Personally I'd rather spend that on something better built than the Mini I think.

Having said that if I test drove one I may well place an order :D so I best resist...

·
JCW time
18,905 Posts
Not bad I guess, but still quite a price to change... For me I think it would cost near £6k to trade my JCW kitted R56 S for the factory model. Personally I'd rather spend that on something better built than the Mini I think.

Having said that if I test drove one I may well place an order :D so I best resist...
I had one for a few hours at the weekend and managed to resist the temptation to order one...:D

·
JCW time
18,905 Posts
You've got the JCW kit haven't you Washy?

How did you find the factory version compared?
It certanly felt like it had a bit more than the stage one kit, but not a massive amount, bear in mind my car has 13k miles on and the JCW I test drove had just a few hundred so probably a lot tighter than mine. I loved the exhaust noise on the factory car and the barakes were much better.

If I was buying now I would probably opt for the factory car over my car, but not convinced it is worth changing mine for one....

·
Registered
847 Posts

I agree with you on this!

P.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts