MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen several posts from people who have had to
replace a tyre or who wanted to put different tyres on their
rims and were told that its not possible to fit standard tyres to MINI rims that are fitted with run-flat tyres
from the factory

Wll, they CAN be fitted - There is nothing special about MINI rims -

My car has the 5-spoke 16" rims and are fitted with
Dunlop SP Sport 3000 DSST.

See http://www.tirerack.com/tires/dunlop/du_s9000dsst.jsp

and if you have goodyear tyes then the same is also true.
I did have a link for that, but I have lost it unfortunatly.

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
space_cadet said:
I have seen several posts from people who have had to
replace a tyre or who wanted to put different tyres on their
rims and were told that its not possible to fit standard tyres to MINI rims that are fitted with run-flat tyres
from the factory
You will be stuffed should you get a puncture with standard tyres though;)

LMB:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Confused..

:confused:

Sorry, I need some clarification, please.

You mention that MINI rims can be fitted with standard tires (which I don't doubt), but then mention your tires and give a link to tirerack.com. The link followed shows Dunlop run flats. Care to clarify, please?

Thanks

·
Registered
512 Posts
Gooner, if you read the description of the tire in the provided link, you'll notice that it mentions that they are able to be mounted on normal rims. So while Space-cadet has the runflats on his car, they are mounted on normal rims (at least, that's what i got out of it ;)

PigLick

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup, thats the gist.

Sorry I did not make that clear enough the first time.

LMB, I am buying the components that make up the MINI
mobility system from the dealer as an alternative
"get you home"

I have not had a pucture for about 10 years, in any
case - whether you have runflats or normals tyres and use
gunk, the tyre can't be repaired, so it make no odds really.

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
space_cadet said:
whether you have runflats or normals tyres and use
gunk, the tyre can't be repaired, so it make no odds really.
I run on 17" run flats, so if I get a puncture it is going to cost me £170:eek:

As such I was considering putting normal 17" tyres on my Mini at a latter date. However, I never thought of buying the mobility unit, cracking idea :)

I was also unsure as to whether you could fit normal tyres on to my S Spoke Wheels. I have had conflicting answers, some say yes and some say no.

But I personally agree with you, I see no reason why they shouldn't fit.

Cheers

LMB:D

·
Registered
448 Posts
Run-flat tyre with a puncture will need to be replaced.
Standard tyre filled with get-you-home gunk will need to be replaced.

So why pay extra for the run-flats?

Well, it might be the way they react when they first go flat - so long as it doesn't shred straight away, the run-flat will be relatively safe at lower speeds and there shouldn't be any wheel damage.

With a standard tyre, the chances of it coming off the wheel or shredding if you continue to drive on it before you've noticed the puncture will also wreck the wheels.

·
Registered
573 Posts
My dealer says he ran one of the 16" runflats for 2 days with a flat, they took it off and fixed the puncture, good as new apparently, and no damage to the tyre.

Andy

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
An_S_4_Me said:
My dealer says he ran one of the 16" runflats for 2 days with a flat, they took it off and fixed the puncture, good as new apparently, and no damage to the tyre.

Andy
I wonder what the tire manufacturer would say about that? How many times can a particular tire be used in a runflat mode? What about heat buildup during runflat use, does it compromise the safety of the tire for subsequent full inflated use? Such as high speed use where tire temperatures are higher?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Runflats

Here is some links that I found on the Goodyear runflats.

link 1

link 2

link 3

Also I found on an other site that special tools are required to change runflats. Otherwise you can damaged the wheel. (I think I read here that some people have already suffered this.)

Found a supplier of tire changers(the machine that takes the tire off the wheel) ando n thier site it states that thier tire changers are Goodyear Runflat Certified. Does this mean that the tires should only be changed using a certified machine??

Now the Rumours!! I think that Pirelli are used on the 17" wheels in the US models. Can any one comfirm this?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Snoopy - any more details on what equipment is required?

I had to wait 2 days, make many calls and travel 30 miles to get a puncture repaired - a MINI dealer repaired my 16" Goodyear runflat but still managed to slightly score the rim.

Ive had 2 wheel rims dented already by another dealer changing the runflats!!!

Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just had a second puncture on my wife's Mini in the first year of ownership. The first time it was a nail, and was close to the sidewall, so had to be replaced. This time, however, it was in the middle of the tread and we only drove about 1 mile with the puncture. The local garage was able to repair the puncture. Seems absolutely fine, and no loss of pressure so far!

However, I was wondering if normal tyres can be fitted to the Mini rims that are designed to take runflats? Alternatively, where can I get a set of 4 standard tyres and rims? I'm hoping this will improve the ride quality too (suffered the same harsh ride with my BMW Z4 which was fitted with runflats!)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts