MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
A Total Mini Convert
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on what date was thee start stop technology fitted to the mini clubman?

·
A Total Mini Convert
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I was just wondering if I looked at a used one wether it would have it, so I guess it would.

·
owt else is just traffic
1,462 Posts
It was week 31 last year (07) that they started producing the hatch with the stop start (mines a week 32) .Wasn't the clubman released in November.They will all have it.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Do not - at least here in the USA.

·
Living in Mini Wasteland
351 Posts
A salesman (manager) told me that it was left out of the Mini for the US because BMW/MINI were trying to keep the cost down. I do not trust much of what he said since he was 'fired' and no longer works for Mini.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I have a strong suspicion that the reason we don't have it due to some legal issue...by legal I mean along the lines of why we don't have the diesel, etc. Eventually, we'll catch up to our British relatives. ;)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Oh shhhhhh, the Manual Only folks would have your head if they read this!:p I actually know very few people who drive automatics in my fairly large circle of MINIac pals.

·
oooh ... pagers!
7,799 Posts
lol, mine's a manual ... everyone i know with one in the states has an auto though ... i apparently have the wrong mini friends. :p

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Where do you live when you're not "in a box"?

People that live in cities or, better yet, do lots of commuting in traffic jammed areas do favor the auto. I switched to autos due to a bad shoulder, which was repaired but is still weak...though I was commenting just yesterday to my husband that maybe I could return to the standard shift now. ;)

Reactions: dakini

·
oooh ... pagers!
7,799 Posts
check your rep for my exact location ... i don't post that publically. :eek:

but yes, i do live in a downtown area. replete with old houses and brick streets. which are murder in a Mini. :rolleyes: :p

·
Registered
543 Posts
start/stop? what's this?
I have no idea why you don't get s/s in the US, but I assume it wasn't in the spec tested for approval for sale on your side of the pond. But all UK-spec Clubmen have it so, assuming it's not been deactivated and only speaking of manuals (stick shifts, I think! :biggrin:):

1: Slow to a stop in any forward gear, select neutral and release the clutch. The engine stops. (Typically at a busy road junction or traffic lights, and when you judge it appropriate to shift to neutral and apply the handbrake.)

2: Dip the clutch again when the lights change and select a gear. The engine restarts virtually instantly without any other action by the driver, who can then drive off as if nothing had happened.

The claimed benefits are over 1mpg, reduced emissions and - in emission-related taxation regimes like the UK - a lower annual tax rate.

The downside is that it requires an uprated starter motor from Bosch, a heavier-duty battery, an extra switch in the clutch system and a different (or at least modified) ECU to co-ordinate everything, including an override that cancels S/S and restarts the car automatically whenever the battery load exceeds a limit due to the air con, radio or lights - or until the engine has reached operating temperature.

It sounds odd as I've described it but it's so unobtrusive that I never switch it off. And I'm happy to save money any way I can!

(It's mildly amusing to see the reaction of people nearby though as most seem to think the car has died for some reason - until it restarts.)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Thanks, dakini - I love getting "rep" - and giving it, too...though I often forget. I have an old college friend from your part of the world. ;)

And thank you, too, David for that great explanation!:biggrin:

·
oooh ... pagers!
7,799 Posts
^^ can testify that the start/stop feature is pretty :cool: ... nicky and derek have it in their clubbie, and it was great ... i would have worried it would mean you're slow starting off at a junction, but that's not the case. :) car starts up as soon as you touch the clutch ... even accidentally. :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts