MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Fellas,
Okay, so I'm getting a message on the display saying my start/stop in no longer working.
Now, I never use it, but I don't like stuff that should work, not working!
Any idea what it could be? I have been told most likely a faulty battery?
It's a 2013 R56 JCW.
Cheers.

·
Registered
427 Posts
That would be the first thing to check especially if the car hasn’t been used for a few weeks and it’s cold weather. Also bear in mind that if you have been having frosty nights in your area recently then it won’t work below 5c anyway until the engine is warmed right through. Would be worth getting the stop/start battery checked anyway as 6 years life out of one is pretty good going.

·
Registered
343 Posts
More likely a sensor is faulty or disconnected. Neutral sensor is a prime candidate. Battery on it's way out or alternator does not throw up a warning light, just stops working.

I may not have made myself clear. A failing battery or other power fault/drain will not give the A in a circle with exclamation mark warning, you'll only get that if there is a fault detected by ECU. When the battery or electrical system is in a poor condition then stop/start simply does not engage/work but there is no warning on the tachometer.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
Hi Fellas,
Okay, so I'm getting a message on the display saying my start/stop in no longer working.
Now, I never use it, but I don't like stuff that should work, not working!
Any idea what it could be? I have been told most likely a faulty battery?
It's a 2013 R56 JCW.
Cheers.
many things will effect it.
1, any fault codes stored on ecu,(some codes dont show a eml light deep scan needed autocom/snooper software will do it,
2 if only using car for short trips and parked up for long times as battery will not get to max storage and system will prevent start stop form working until this is met.
3 battery getting worn out 5 years seems to be a common point on those batteries for start stop.
might be electrical fault somewhere but number 1 will cover that, most seem to be number 2 and 3 and the age of car would point me off in that area,, would check voltage when car running after a 2 hour drive in day light hours,, it should be 14.2v to 14.9volts car running, if switch car off and disconnect battery then read the battery standing voltage after a hour of rest, 12.6v to 12.8 volts is good battery anything less battery is getting ill. after thos a drop test is needed ie heavy load on battery with a spiked battery tester for 60 seconds the battery should recover after to 12.6-12.8volts
the charging system is ecu controlled once again diagnostics worth using, also common thing with alternator is free wheel pulley fails,, can tell engine idling look at belt if it seems to jump fast and slow then pulley is ill . £40 on ebay for new one

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi fellas,
Yes, I only do around 5,000 miles per year and with the car being 6 years old in September, it could also
be an indicator the battery is faulty.
I'll get it booked in and checked over.
Thanks for those who have tried to help, much appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts