MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, firstly I'm new here and have a very basic mechanical capacity. My 54 plate Mini Cooper has developed a starting problem over the last 3 months. I came out and turned the key and nothing but a single click. I immediately thought battery and bought a new one for £90. I fitted it and it started first time, problem solved. But it wasn't. A week or so later same thing happens, completely dead. I assume something has drain my brand new battery so I go out and buy a trickle charger. When I take the battery off I notice a nice spark and think, hmmmm, that doesn't look dead. I plug it in and the charger says fully charged and the indicator on the actual battery is 100%. I put it back on, noticing the nice spark again, try it and it starts first time. Works fine for a few days then dead. After lots of looking at the engine and not knowing what I'm looking for I managed to discover that every time I disconnect and reconnect the battery it fires fine. It then can work for hours, days or weeks but then will fail again, when it does I disconnect and reconnect and we are good to good for a while. I am completely stumped and shudder at garage fees so I'm hoping it could be an easy fix. Any help or advice would be fantastic. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
body control module would be my best guess,, its encoded to the car as in for central locking and immobiliser but is possible to plug ad play of dont mind having all that working,, BBA REMEN repair them,
would also check main battery leads from battery etc, could also be starter motor solenoid or the cas elws/cas unit, as you have a bog spark when connecting the battery would say there is a power draw from somewhere

·
You gotta love the toys!!
244 Posts
Make sure your two battery leads are REALLY tight. Mine would do this and it turned out the positive lead was a bit loose. Been great since I tightened.

/R

My car pics on Instagram: the_porsche_rich

·
Registered
23 Posts
Could it be the Crankshaft sensor? I had a Megane once that sometimes out the blue wouldn't start as the sensor wasn't registering where the flywheel was( I think that's how it works) as soon as I put a new one on, I never has that problem again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine (2003 Cooper s) is suffering what sounds like the same problem, twice after 4 years of trouble free starting. First time, I put the battery on charge, no problem for several weeks, yesterday, (in Homebase carpark) I disconnected the battery and immediately reconnected it and it started right away.

·
You gotta love the toys!!
244 Posts
Mine (2003 Cooper s) is suffering what sounds like the same problem, twice after 4 years of trouble free starting. First time, I put the battery on charge, no problem for several weeks, yesterday, (in Homebase carpark) I disconnected the battery and immediately reconnected it and it started right away.
Same behaviour as ours. Clean battery leads and reconnect tightly. Ours had a loose positive connection. Not been a problem since.

/R

My car pics on Instagram: the_porsche_rich

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same behaviour as ours. Clean battery leads and reconnect tightly. Ours had a loose positive connection. Not been a problem since.
Thanks, I also took the preventative measure of ordering a new battery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts