MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mt Top
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have an 05 MCS and I am looking to put some snow tires on to save the wear and tear on the very pretty run flats as well as to give me better traction for the snowy New England winter that lies ahead. I have read a lot of posts about 15" Honda wheels, in particular Honda Civic wheels, fitting my MCS but I have not seen many specifics. I am thinking about ordering 4 wheels through the internet and I want to be sure I get something that is not going to rub anything or injure my suspension or steering components.

So... I guess the question is, what year or model Civic wheels will fit my little Zippy?

Thanks,
Charlie

Oh, and I will take suggestions on snow tires as well, if you have them. What am I saying, mini owners having opinions? Isn't that a given???

·
In my perfect MINI world
371 Posts
I have been waiting for a month for steel rims from TireRack.com. I am VERY interested as well to see if Honda rims "fit the bill" so to speak.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm running honda civic 15x6 steelies. I also have 185/65/15 winter tires. I rub a little bit on the spring perch. I am gonna get spacers soon.

·
Dating my S
587 Posts
ive had first hand experience with civic rims.. they will rub.. spacers should elimate that problem though

im still running on oem steel wheels, and even they rub!

·
Mt Top
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
too many questions

Well, I have heard a lot of negative things about the Honda rims, and so I think I have made a deal for some Mini seven holed rims and I will throw the snow shoes on those. I thought a lot about this and, when it comes down to it, why do I want to save a hundred bucks by purchasing something that is not made for the car, when I spent so much on this baby to begin with- it just did not make sense to me.

Charlie

·
In my perfect MINI world
371 Posts
When I called TireRack and spoke with a supervisor she said she had NO IDEA when the 16" steel rims would show as they had lost the container.

I flat out asked her if I should look elsewhere for my snow tires and she said YES!

This was all very cordial and business like, but I was firm and let her know that I was extremely unlikely to purchase from TireRack in the future and as a MINI enthusiast future purchases somewhere are definite.

A satisfied customer tells 5 people, a dissatisfied customer tells 20, a MINI2 customer tells the world!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I called my local tire store and they ordered me 15" steel wheels and Bridgestone snow tires. They had them in the next day and I'll have them installed on Friday. The steel wheels are only $40.00 each.

I drove the Mini in snow here in CT a couple of weeks ago on the Dunlop OEM 17" tires. I can't tell you how bad the car was in the snow!!! Getting the 15" steel wheels with the new tires is cheaper than getting 17" run flat snows, and they will perform better in the snow. This way, I'll save the factory wheels for better weather, or for sale while the steelies get beat in the winter.

Good luck,

·
Registered
104 Posts
Bob,
Not sure if you can get run-flat snows in 205/45-17 size ?

The Dunlop Winter Sport M3s (only run-flat snows I know of; are there others ?) are only currently available in 195/55-16. Tire rack told me that 176/65-15 versions will be available next year i.e winter '05.

Not many people do, but if you want to reatin your run-flat capability you have to be very careful with wheel & tire combos.....not a lot of options out there.

·
Obsessive Not Compulsive
413 Posts
Well, I have heard a lot of negative things about the Honda rims, and so I think I have made a deal for some Mini seven holed rims and I will throw the snow shoes on those. I thought a lot about this and, when it comes down to it, why do I want to save a hundred bucks by purchasing something that is not made for the car, when I spent so much on this baby to begin with- it just did not make sense to me.

Charlie

Excellent choice.
If you install them yourself you'll be amazed at how the 7-hole wheels seem to just barely wrap around the brake calipers!
And besides the "holeys" look great on MC's and MCS's alike.
Another member here calls them the "phone dial" wheels. Hah!

·
Registered
295 Posts
MINIAC said:
I've got the Pirelli 205-45 -17 runflat Winter Sports on s-Lites and they are excellent! although I have yet to get them into snow :D

They are extremely quiet running - much quieter than any other snow tyres that I have had on other vehicles. and they seem to have more than enough grip on corners.
Minor problem though - they squeal when I pull off in 1st and also when I change to 2nd but that is probably caused by my right foot :D :D :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
thebigyin said:
I've got the Pirelli 205-45 -17 runflat Winter Sports on s-Lites and they are excellent! although I have yet to get them into snow :D
Have you had these in the snow yet? I'm planning on getting a MCS with 17" s-Lites and am worried about the snow. Has anyone had Pirelli 205-45-17 runflat Snowsports in the snow yet?

Thanks,
Eric

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.