MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Mt Top
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have an 05 MCS and I am looking to put some snow tires on to save the wear and tear on the very pretty run flats as well as to give me better traction for the snowy New England winter that lies ahead. I have read a lot of posts about 15" Honda wheels, in particular Honda Civic wheels, fitting my MCS but I have not seen many specifics. I am thinking about ordering 4 wheels through the internet and I want to be sure I get something that is not going to rub anything or injure my suspension or steering components.

So... I guess the question is, what year or model Civic wheels will fit my little Zippy?

Thanks,
Charlie

Oh, and I will take suggestions on snow tires as well, if you have them. What am I saying, mini owners having opinions? Isn't that a given???

·
wherever you go...
1,617 Posts
Mountain top said:
Hello everyone. I have an 05 MCS and I am looking to put some snow tires on to save the wear and tear on the very pretty run flats as well as to give me better traction for the snowy New England winter that lies ahead. I have read a lot of posts about 15" Honda wheels, in particular Honda Civic wheels, fitting my MCS but I have not seen many specifics. I am thinking about ordering 4 wheels through the internet and I want to be sure I get something that is not going to rub anything or injure my suspension or steering components.

So... I guess the question is, what year or model Civic wheels will fit my little Zippy?

Thanks,
Charlie

Oh, and I will take suggestions on snow tires as well, if you have them. What am I saying, mini owners having opinions? Isn't that a given???
Check out tirerack.com. They can sell you steelies with snows mounted.. Or you can pick up a somewhat inexpensive set of alloys for about twice the price.

For snow, I have the Blizzak LM22s. These aren't as gnarly as the WS50s, but they have a higher speed rating, are quieter, and do plenty well in sloppy conditions.

·
brown is back
4,278 Posts
Apparently (from other's comments), tirerack is way behind on shipping MINI steelies. I'd suggest not going out on your own and ordering 15" steel wheels, but having a shop do it. I went through a local shop, and the first time they got some 15" wheels in for me, they didn't clear the front brakes. They ordered the wheels from tirerack themselves, I found out. I'm sure tirerack wouldn't make that mistake again, but someone else might. If a shop is on the hook for getting it done, you don't have to worry about it, they do.

Somewhere in the archives, I wrote a post where I put in all the "markings" on the steel wheels I got that did work. Maybe a search would find it? It was written around 2 years ago.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
185/65R15 Winterforce tires (I love 'em, taking them to Hudson Bay) + 4 steelies + mounting + balancing + shipping = $417.32
Alex @tirerack ext.294

·
In my perfect MINI world
371 Posts
Yah, I'm the one been waiting now a month for my steel rimmed snows from TireRack. Ordered Oct 21, rims "re-dated" to arrive four times now. Should be in tomorrow (if you believe their latest guesstimate, which I do not).

·
heh...lame
2,422 Posts
Black steel is HOT!

·
In my perfect MINI world
371 Posts
I cannot believe this. I just went to check the status of my oh so old order with TireRack and the rims have been pushed back yet AGAIN!!! Now, they claim the rims won't come in until November 30. Stay away from TireRack if you wish steel rims this winter.

·
Play On!
1,023 Posts
Check out Bavarian Auto in Portsmouth NH: www.bavauto.com

Got my wheels/tire set there last winter and ran with no problems. Super Winter Hakkapeliitta 2 tires ( 185/65/15 ) mounted on factory Mini steel wheels (5.5"x15") now at $600

Play On

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
must be your proximity to Wingdale ;) A scant month before you was my order date and I had 'em in 5 days.

·
heh...lame
2,422 Posts
reills, that's weird. Have they said what the hold up is? Last winter there wasn't a problem at all. I ordered mine in December and had them in a few days.

·
mini2 cruiser
45 Posts
Last winter there wasn't a problem at all.
An article in my local paper today was about winter tires, no longer called snow tires, and how people with high performance new cars want that performance year round, so there is a demand for winter tires and all season radials aren't so all season. My guess is demand is up and supply short.

·
newbea
27 Posts
I'm still debated as to whether or not to invest in winter tires. My MA says I should be fine with my 16" all seasons, but others think I should get the winter tires and spare my run flats. I'm torn.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
You are located 'upstate' where? I did not use snows the last two winters and I was fine....for the most part. Depends on if your MINI is your only or primary vehicle, I think. Snows on this year mostly 'cause I plan a big winter trip north into whoknowswhere Quebec.

·
Sitting on a park bench..
1,183 Posts
I was going to go the TireRack/ Blizzak route, but ended up getting some R81s (MINI 15" alloys) on eBay for a good price, and some Nokian Hakks from Tire Factory (http://www.tirefactory.net/) for a good price as well.
I had Blizzaks before and while a great tire (when new) on ice, its compound is so soft (to give it the great ice traction) they didn't last very long and became very noisy. I've heard great things about the Nokians and wanted to give 'em a try.

If the steelies are being delayed, I think there are some 15"s up on eBay right now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.