MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have just bought an 02 plate Cooper - and I love it, but there is one thing which I am not sure about....the steering seems to have a tiny bit of slack in it when changing direction, accompanied by a minor clunking feel.

The power assistance seems to be fine but i was wondering whether anyone could tell me if this is normal, or whether it could mean there is a problem with the steering somewhere, like the rack or linkages etc.

Help much appreciated..

Thanks

·
Registered
286 Posts
It's possible that the lower wishbone bushings are bad, get them looked at. They have a shorter than normal life expectancy, pooting out their cushioning liquid and self-destructing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's possible that the lower wishbone bushings are bad, get them looked at. They have a shorter than normal life expectancy, pooting out their cushioning liquid and self-destructing.
Agreed! The factory lower control arm bushings are RUBBISH! (as you Brits say:p) Try this... at low speed... VERY low speed... stab the brake pedal and see if the steering wheel shudders a few degrees. If so it's almost guaranteed that's the problem. Replace these bushings with Polyurethane, not the factory rubber.

And pay someone to do it- this is no job for the beginner! Good Luck;)

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Also check this for the minor clunking feel as it is a very common problem on earlier MINI's:-

The clunk or clicking noise when turning the wheel in low speed situations such as parking can be caused by a failed or dry bearing and rotary coupler in the upper steering column assembly. The rotary coupler is the part that allows all the wiring coming from the steering wheel (Airbag, stereo controls, cruise control and horn wires) to rotate when the steering is turned and to keep all the cables in place inside the column. Greasing the upper column bearing often gives a temporary fix.
MINI in early 2003 issued a new revised upper steering column / rotary coupler assembly with new part numbers. NOTE: If you have a 2001/2002 MINI both upper and lower steering column assemblies MUST BE REPLACED as the new upper column is not backwards compatible with the old lower steering column assembly (Differences in the splines). Also if you have an Auto the steering column is different from manual models due to the electric shift lock feature. The repair / fitting takes about 2-3 hours garage labour and the current parts prices from BMW are Upper column £163 +vat, Lower column £73 + vat (Total parts £280 approx. inc. vat).
Dismantling and fitting is detailed for DIYers in the MINI Haynes manual.
(The MINI steering column is made by NSK Steering Systems Europe Ltd. of Coventry, West Midlands CV6 6PA.)
For BMW part numbers and exploded diagrams see realoem.com)
Despite the modified parts it seems it is not unknown for later post 2003 columns to start clunking!
I just spray grease mine on a regular basis (out of warranty).

This thread details how to diy grease the upper steering column bearing:-
http://www.mini2.com/forum/faults-fi...ng-column.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts