MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Have noticed over the past couple of days that the steering on my S feels lighter! as if the power steering is working overtime! The car drives ok, turns, corners and is true on the straight ahead, so not sure if this is a problem or not. Will check tyre pressures in the morning, the run flat indicator isn't glowing so I dont think its a flat.

Anyone else had this??

Cheers

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

Feels a little like the front wheels are in ice, very peculiar! have been using a tire shine after washing the car and was almost wondering if Ive put a build up of silicone on the tread by mistake, sounds daft I know. Tyre pressures are ok and the steering and tracking all feel ok, no drifting or pulling to the left or right and no steering knocks or clicks!
Have looked under the car and cant see anything bent. Any wise guesses out there?

OR is this a unique MINI prob??

Cheers

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
mine is like this, but thats because I need new tyres, whats the tread like, how many miles have you covered on your tyres?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rakey said:
mine is like this, but thats because I need new tyres, whats the tread like, how many miles have you covered on your tyres?
Hi Rakey,

Ermm have only 3700 miles, so probably got a good 5mm on the treads at the front.
Just feels a bit weird. I'm taking her in next Monday to have my bonnet stripes refitted so will ask them if they can check it out.

Cheers

·
MINI defector
13,698 Posts
Colder weather means tyres will take longer to warm up. Been alot of rain of late too so roads are more greasier.
This could all factor into "lighter" steering feel.
If your tyre pressures are low I'd expect the steering to feel heavier.

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Martin is right, the temp takes time to warm up, I used to find this more so on the Pirelli Run Flats, thats why I binned them;)

Mine is all fixed now, nice new tyres put on this arvo, its feels great to throw the car into a corner and know I will come out the other side:D

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rakey said:
Martin is right, the temp takes time to warm up, I used to find this more so on the Pirelli Run Flats, thats why I binned them;)

Mine is all fixed now, nice new tyres put on this arvo, its feels great to throw the car into a corner and know I will come out the other side:D
Thanks for your replies. Not sure if its a temperature thing, why has it started to do it now when a week ago all was fine even when the tyres were cold? I'm wondering whether something hads gone weird with the power steering or the column.

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
well get the dealer to check it, and we look forward to you getting it sorted and finding out the reason why;)

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello Peeps,

Thanks for all your replies. Had the steering etc checked out by the dealer yesterday and they can't find anything wrong, so I guess it's Pirelli runflats. Have only done just inder 4000 miles so would be surprised if it's because the tread is wearing low. Oh well ho hum.

Cheers

·
Motoring since 8/4/04 :)
553 Posts
I've got the Pirelli's too. Sometimes the steering feels light, sometimes its nice and heavy. Sometimes my MINI hugs the road, sometimes it feels unstable.

I need to check the pressure and let some air out and come, spring i'm selling them and getting some non-runflats.

Luke

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Assuming tracking is correct, sounds like too high tyre pressures. I run 26psi in the front and 21psi in the back (cold ) on the track and 27psi front 23psi back on the road.
IMO most recommended std pressures are way too high,probably to give optimum fuel consumption figures?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
roland2003 said:
Assuming tracking is correct, sounds like too high tyre pressures. I run 26psi in the front and 21psi in the back (cold ) on the track and 27psi front 23psi back on the road.
IMO most recommended std pressures are way too high,probably to give optimum fuel consumption figures?
Hi roland,

Cheers for that, hmmm 27psi eek, I think mine are all at 33psi which hope I'm correct is the handbook recommended with no loads etc. Where do you get 27psi from? My mazda 323 runs at 26psi all round recommended so maybe 33 is too high for the runflats. What does everyone else think on this??.....is 33psi to high and would it do anylong term damage running 6psi lower than recommended. Kinda weird really cos I been running at the recommended psi since new and this problem has only surfaced the past 2 weeks.
What pressures does everyone else run at all round??? interesting to know cos if its a lower psi I might try it and see what difference it makes.

By the way Roland tracking is fine and nothing is bent or out of alignment as the dealer checked,

Cheers

·
Registered
76 Posts
HI Penguinblue,

I have experienced something similar with my 05 MCS. It's done 4000kms ~ 2600miles. Just wasn't sure if its related to me getting used to the tighter steering in my MINI. I have also increased the tire pressure from the recommended 33 to approx 35 psi because of uneven threadwear.

My MINI is at the dealers right now for some work :D Unfortunately my courtesy car is a Z4 which has a nicely tight steering as well, but if the MINI still feels loose after driving the BMW then I might have to check the tire pressure again.

Will report back on this.

Btw: Are the recommended pressures for completely cold tires?

·
553 Posts
I thought that the recommended psi was 38!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'll check my manual as soon as I get the MINI back, but I'm pretty sure it was 33psi.

Nice color combo you have there btw.

·
M5 Extraordinare!
6,796 Posts
roland2003 said:
26 is too low... and 21 is waaay too low. Why not just run on the rims. 33 is the recommended.

·
M5 Extraordinare!
6,796 Posts
But I personally run at about 36psi. gives a good compromise between smoothness of the ride and handeling... And before you say its too high and theres not enough rubber contact to the ground; No, its not. I've played with most pressure between 33 to 40 and I find 36 to 38 be the best.

Here's two threads about tire pressure and where I came to the conclusion of 36 to 38psi

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9835&highlight=tire+pressure

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10158&highlight=tire+pressure

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Hi Penguinblue,
I use acombination of 2 factors to determine optimum tyre pressure on all my cars.
1) Monitor the wear ,just before you replace tyres,see if middle is worn more than the edges ,if it is reduce tyre pressures .
2)The good old stop watch. Simply monitor lap times (and heartbeat rate !)
My R5 gt turbo tarmac rally car runs 23front,18 back(cold)

·
553 Posts
I checked mine today and it's been running 27psi all round since delivery! I just put in 38psi so I'll have to see how that goes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts