MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi every one well after being told by garage who fitted pump just over 2 yrs. ago that the gearbox control module was faulty and had shut steering down, ?I was speaking to mike 1967 who said he’d not heard of this and guess what he was right , I took car to an auto electrician who has traced the fault to being a broken male connector on top of steering pump ?great I thought cheap fix WRONG he’s quoted £623 to replace harness and pump , so I have now been back to original garage they are going to have a look on Friday , found the original receipt for new pump ?warranty ran out on 28 July 2019 ?

· Registered
13,571 Posts
my question would be how did and when did the plug get damaged ie is something first garage missed, or might they have broken it when doing the repair it does happen big heavy pump and plug trapped when install or remove, trouble is proving it and that is a hard one, cant see how harness could damage pump same as even if plug area on pump is damaged its still a very big connector so chances are a cable tie and or some super glue could sort it all rather than replacing the pump, that said if they never installed a non genuine pump then chance are it needs another new one, the after market recon unit are so much better

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The auto electrician said it looked as if water had got in to it and corroded it , the only thing is this pump is a warranty one because the first pump leaked , it was only put on about 8 moths ago , so either they didn’t put it together right or the pump wasn’t changed 8 moths ago , but the garage who fitted the pump said last week it definitely wasn’t the pump it was the gearbox control unit that was faulty and shut the steering down , but when I told him what the other guy said he didn’t mention it again and just said he’d have to see the connector, sorry didn’t reply earlier the site said under maintenance

· Registered
13,571 Posts
so chances are of was replaced might of been a factory one they are rubbish, or they stuck a secondhand one again rubbish, i always spray terminals with a tab of oil or wd 40 keeps wet out even grease porks well. prevention is always better than repair.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.