MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI. Can anyone enlighten me as to what "stepped wear" is and whether I should be worried??

I recently had both front tyres replaced on my Cooper S. Nothing was mentioned about the rear tyres when I collected the car, however there is a note on the invoice saying "stepped wear on rear tyres" (the invoice wasn't issued at the time as the dealer's printer wasn't working, so I received it a few days later).

The rear tyres have been on since I bought the car new 3 years ago, it's just passed 27k miles. I checked the tread on the rear tyres before I had the front ones replaced and it was 4.5mm. I didn't notice any unusual wear, but then I wasn't really looking.

·
Registered
988 Posts
From what I can find, here's an example of stepped wear;

patches of wear on the inner edge where there was 2 inches of wear then two inches of no wear, so in effect the tyre was drumming when it span, but it only seemed to feedback to the steering around 70 - 80 mph for some reason
They mentioned that you usually get this if you don't rotate the tyres every so often - ie, swap front to back.

·
still learning
1,270 Posts
have a closer look at the back tyres yourself and see if you can see any unusual wear pattern, especially on the inside.

if they've done 27,000 mls and stll have 4.5mm left, then there is not much wrong.

but what you should really have done is put the new tyres on the back, as having new tyres only on the front may have an effect on handling for a period.

what you could actually do now is swop them over front to back corner to corner if it bothers you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts