MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove a steptronic and a manual cooper for about 10 miles each on same route and my observations are as follows
The steptronic is as good as the manual in normal road use
Infact in sports mode moving the shift to left I found the step as responsive holding revs to the top of the range. Only if you hold revs to 4500 and dump the clutch would you take off faster in the manual (but youll blow your clutch in 6 months) also if you do a lot of city driving you will get tired in traffic. I was crawling in traffic for half a mile approaching a roundabout and the step was much more relaxed to drive. If you plan to do track stuff then choose the manual otherwise youll enjoy the step cooper just as much. Try it!!

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Yes I completely agree with that and the sport note produces a wonderful exhaust note!

James

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I think the close ratio Getrag 6-spd will be true test. But that's quite good to hear. The fact that the CVT is even close, let alone tied with the manual, it high praise indeed. In my experience, all manuals, even bad ones, are better than the best automatics.

Evidently, new technology like CVT, Manumatics, etc... are challenging that perception.

Wonder how reliable the CVT will be in the long run? They don't have a good reputation in North America.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Noahe
I agree with you that a manual is better than a plain Auto
But this gearbox with sports mode and manual flick changes is not the same as an auto. its more a half way house bit like a tiptronic in porsches. If you live in the countryside with open B roads and no traffic I think the manual will be fine but if you do a combo of open roads and stop start city traffic you must drive the steptronic before rejecting it. Youll be surprised! But please drive a cooper which has done atleast 3 to 4 thousand miles so that its nicely opened up and can be revved freely. I found the one I drove really punchy and peppy It made up my mind and Ive gone for the steptronic. I may miss the manual on a nice summers day once in a while but overall I think I chose right for my own purposes. I do about 40 miles a day and of that 40 percent is in the city crawling!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts