MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to put a new stereo in my 05 convertible. I'm not sure what spec to buy as I don't know what the factory fitted speakers are capable of. Can anyone tell me the watts?

Lisax

·
Registered
13 Posts
The first thing I swapped out on mine (07 S conv without HK) was the head unit and front speakers and it is a simple swap with any single din head unit. I also installed two amps in the back (trunk I guess) protected by a false floor. One amp is a 5 channel Alpine digital that drives the two front door comps, the two factory rear panel speakers and a center channel mounted in the gap under the switch array in the center console. The second amp is a two channel MTX that drives a tube subwoofer in the trunk. I am thinking of installing two 8" Kicker open air subs in the plate behind the rear seats so I get the space back the tube sub occupies now. My head unit is a JVC DVD unit with surround sound (5 speaker w/ sub output) that blacks out completely when power is cut...although the face can be removed if you want. The stock speakers are the first audio item to replace when better sound is wanted as stock are usually cheaply made. I have been wanting to replace the rear speakers but that requires the removal of the entire back seat and seat belts which has been my sticking point. Along with the fact I have to replace the brake pads and rotors immediately and am going to upgrade to a BBK the money is not there for both.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts