MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have posted this elsewhere but with no responses, hoping you guys can help out!!

I picked up my 2005 54 reg Cooper S today with 17.5k on the clock, and very nice it is too!! It had a new clutch plate/flywheel at 13k.

My problem is the gearbox is pretty stiff to change gear, the gears engage ok but it seems a lot stiffer than my last S.

Anyone got any ideas what this could be at all as im quite worried? Also, when idling I hear a very light "ticking" noise from the front of the car, this stops when the cluth is pressed. Any ideas? If it helps, the biting point is pretty close to the floor which I have heard is a good sign.

Many thanks

Tom

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
come on guys, no ideas at all?? Ive not found any other S drivers to quizz re their gearboxes yet!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I used to have a tight gearbox in a Ford once - I got the gearbox oil changed which helped enourmously - Q does it get better once warmed up? this might indicate lack of oil or old oil.

Whatever you do dont force the gearbox........instead depress the clutch then try again, if still no joy get it checked you might do more damage.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys!

Ultimately the car does go into gear, its just a lot heavier than it feels that it should be!

If its the cables/pivot points at fault will it just be a case of having them lubricated/adjusted. Is tthis a simple (and hopefully inexpensive) job? Im hoping that driving the car like this is not doing it any harm, Ive only had it for a few days and im guessing the previous owner put up with it for quite a while!

Many thanks

Tom

·
MCS R53 Red and ******
42 Posts
Mine is also, well not a struggle to get in gear, but takes a definate 'movement' and selecting reverse took some learning.

But I like it and have got used to it, and hay its still a lot easier than getting my old TVR Cerbera into gear!

Am taking the car to GTT for their 220 upgrade mid November will ask them their opinion and report back on any action they take or recommend.

·
Registered
199 Posts
if it wasn't for you having an S before this one, i'd have just said that the gearbox does feel pretty heavy in these compared with other cars. It's a BMW thing i reckon... after owning a few, you get used to the heavy but accurate throw of the gears.

That said, if you've had another S and this is heavier, it could be the cables or pivot points as already suggested.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think part of the trouble is that Ive been away from Minis for two years and in that time have either driven my Punto or the work focuses, both of which are light to control. Its worth noting, 2nd to 3rd gear is the stiffest on my MCS.

The car is booked in with BMW next week, firstly to check the gearbox and secondly to change the LSD oil to stop the damn steering groan!!

Out of interest, if it is a cable/pivot issue is this a cheap/simple fix? Otherwise, it has been suggested that the clutch may require bleeding?

Thanks for the thoughts so far.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mins21

BMW insisted that the change was normal and that there was no fault with the box, therefore not much that I could do really! I think the change of gearbox oil when curing the LSD groan certainly helped!

Anyway, this S is now history, im now the proud owner of a MCSC!! :)

·
Clubbing in Miami
109 Posts
My '05 R53 S shifts perfectly fine with a nice firm gate entry. But I have never had to struggle with it to find gear at all.

The car has 51K miles most of them city miles.

The clutch and flywheel...What rubbish! I am going next week for Clutch kit #3 and Flywheel #2 on MINI's dime.

But the Getrag gearbox has been superb. Not a single problem with it. Wish I could say the same about the clutch.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The getrag boxes are tight anyway, that coupled with the MCS's already very short stroke on the gear lever (quick shift) meaning you havent got much leverage doesnt help. Mine can be a pig to ge into second, especially on these very cold mornings, but its fine once its warmed up. Had a new box about 5k miles ago as well.

Personally I love it, but then I am used to a tight gearchange in my kit car as well.

I cant stand a sloppy gear change ;)

David

·
JCW 210 apparently not!
516 Posts
tbh every time I drive a normal car the gear change always way too light and the same for the clutch. The gear change is heavy on the cooper s, its more a case of getting used to it I find.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ours was terrible after our flywheel was changed, and we had very little clutch, turns out they hadn't bled the clutch!

Clutch bled now its perfect :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have posted this elsewhere but with no responses, hoping you guys can help out!!

I picked up my 2005 54 reg Cooper S today with 17.5k on the clock, and very nice it is too!! It had a new clutch plate/flywheel at 13k.

My problem is the gearbox is pretty stiff to change gear, the gears engage ok but it seems a lot stiffer than my last S.

Anyone got any ideas what this could be at all as im quite worried? Also, when idling I hear a very light "ticking" noise from the front of the car, this stops when the cluth is pressed. Any ideas? If it helps, the biting point is pretty close to the floor which I have heard is a good sign.

Many thanks

Tom
I've just bought an '05 MCS and I find the gear change very heavy!! My last car was an '06 Polo with a very light gear change but the MCS is a HUGE leap in terms of heavyness. Even to the point that some gears are hard to get on the first attempt...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts